Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2009 ninja 500 a couple months ago, has 13K miles on it (1,000 miles from me).

This week started having an issue with acceleration, the bike won't get off the line like it used to. It accelerates slow and is very difficult to get past 60 mph. The RPMs won't go higher than 5k or 6K.

Bought this bike all cash, don't have the extra cash to take to a shop for them to charge me $500. Help!

Thanks,

Sam

·
1,458 Posts
Could honestly be lots of things. Could be a carb issue or a piston ring issue to spark plugs, fuel pump, air filter, clutch, or valves. Does it have a hard time starting? Does it idle ok? Any smoke from the exhaust? What's your oil look like and smell like? Does your lights dim more than normal? Let's start there and we can go further. Also tell of any modifications done to the bike. Air filters, exhaust, fuel management systems, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reaching out! The bike starts and idles fine, no smoke in the exhaust. Oil I'm not sure what to look or smell for, I do know it's synthetic and the oil light is not on if those things matter - what should I check for? The lights don't dim and I don't believe there are any mods except for the bike was raised. Also, when I roll on the throttle in N, the RPMs rise just fine. The previous owner used midgrade fuel so I was doing the same but just switched to premium per a recommendation from a friend.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
...... The previous owner used midgrade fuel so I was doing the same but just switched to premium per a recommendation from a friend.
If the bike starts and idles fine and you are able to get to higher rpms, albiet with a little difficulty, start by checking your air filter, then go back to regular gas (87 octane non ethanol, if you can get it) Premium is of little benefit except for making your wallet lighter.
See the highlights in this post

http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/problems-after-changing-oil-14393.html#post276209
http://www.newninja.com/forums/f97/troubleshooting-guide-7095.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took the bike apart and the air filter and spark plugs are both good. I looked up the carb issue in my manual and kawi suggests carb issues deal with idle, but my idle is good, so could it still be the carbs?

I saw that the ninja 500 doesn't have a fuel filter, could it be something with the lines?

Thanks

·
1,458 Posts
So my things now is if it does the things written up above we are getting closer to the problem. Fuel pump may not be putting out enough fuel when the bike is under pressure. This can also be from a pinched or dirty clogged line as well. Sometimes people buy hose that is not fuel hose because it's cheap and can be easily gotten from auto parts place. But the problem is they collapse. Is your hose the factory hose? Also put some gas from the tank into a mason jar and look for water in the gas. That's where I'd go next.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Do carb bikes have a fuel pump? I thought they were gravity fed?

·
1,458 Posts
No your correct zandit. I forgot what bike we we're talking about as Inhad a lot on my mind yesterday but he should still check his lines and gas regardless of anything else. This will help narrow everything down. More than likely it's a not enough fuel issue but could be a bigger problem just trying to dismiss the easier
To check since he doesn't have money to go
To The shop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks SO much for all of the input. I watched some YouTube videos and figured out how to remove the carbs, take them apart and thoroughly clean them. I just put the bike back together and it runs GREAT! Back to normal and all I spent was $2.99 for some carb cleaner and about 2-3 hours of time.

Hopefully the problem does not recur.. the only downside is I scratched my side front ferings from puttingthe gas tank back on.

Again, thanks a BUNCH for all of the help, I really was about to take this whole experience as a loss.

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
acceleration

i have the same issue but after i had it in the shop and had the carbs clean and the slide spring was broken in the carberator but after i got it home and it sat i started having the same problem any ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
87 octane on a sports bike ?I've never heard that before. Always thought it would mess up the bike putting cheap gas , same as with sports cars. So it wont hurt or does it depend on the bike ? I have a 08 zx10r

1 - 12 of 12 Posts