Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this the other day. It is an alternative to ABS brakes. It looks and sounds like it works well. It's got my attention. The reason I believe it works is because I had a scooter with something similar mounted to the front brake caliper that stopped really great (with little to no noticeable pulse in the brake lever) but did not completely lock up except on zero traction. (and that was rare).

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9PJIAsFBI

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
The CBR uses a mechanical abs for what i gather the system is partially linked. The front brake is a standalone system and does not engage the rear at all; extreme braking with the front alone lightens the rear enough that linking the two is unneeded. However, when one applies solely the rear brake, a single piston of the front brake is engaged to increase overall stopping power. What do you think the main problem would be? Sorry really don’t know that much on ABS. Would really like someone to try lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CBR uses a mechanical abs for what i gather the system is partially linked. The front brake is a standalone system and does not engage the rear at all; extreme braking with the front alone lightens the rear enough that linking the two is unneeded. However, when one applies solely the rear brake, a single piston of the front brake is engaged to increase overall stopping power. What do you think the main problem would be? Sorry really don’t know that much on ABS. Would really like someone to try lol
This is an excerpt from Honda Explains the Development Process behind the new CBR250R about the ABS on the CBR250R.
"Powerful braking capabilities come via a front brake consisting of a twin-piston floating caliper clamping down on a large, 296mm floating disc and a rear brake consisting of a big 220mm disc and a single-piston caliper. As an option, the CBR250R can be had with Combined ABS, which combines a front/rear-wheel interlocking brake system with an anti-lock brake system (ABS). This Combined ABS is a Honda-original brake system in which the front/rear-wheel connection generates a braking force distributed between both wheels when the brake pedal is actuated. However, for a more sporting response, when the front brake lever is applied, the front brake alone functions independently without actuating the rear brake.
The CBR250R with Combined ABS features a three-piston caliper in front, front/rear wheel speed sensors that detect the condition of the vehicle, and an ABS modulator with a built-in Electronic Control Unit. The ECU processes information from the wheel speed sensors and controls the flow of hydraulic pressure to the caliper. This advanced braking performance was achieved with an eye toward optimal handling by placing heavier items, such as the ABS modulator, near the bike’s center of gravity."

Other than the hardware such as the brakes and control valves, there are speed sensors, calipers, wheel fitment and modulator/ECU location to figure out trying to integrate it on the Ninja.

Here is a diagram of the ABS systems that Honda uses. The [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Combined ABS for large scooters is what is used on the CBR250R. [/FONT]Honda Worldwide | Technology Close-up

I willing to bet if it was cost effective to do, some Ninja modifier in Thailand would do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.