Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only a summer owning my '08 250 Ninja, I'm looking to get into something bigger. It's a tough decision between old ZX6E's and late model Katana 750's. As I'm having an easier time finding quality Katana's, and the 600 Kat I road was in no way lacking in power, I'm afraid I may be saying good bye to team green.

Share your comments and suggestions, positive or negative. $3500 is a lot for an old kat...

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For all you lurkers out there, I'm going to pour my heart out on here for lack of anything better to do.

So I pull up to this place out in the sticks, I swear I heard the banjos, and there is this dusty 'Kat sitting in a barn. It has a slight bit of surface rust on the exhaust header and the outside of the chain links, and maybe two small scratches the size of a dime on the entire bike. It was dark as hell, but the bike was incredibly clean in spite of the dust. The tires were meh. Six year old stock rubber with 5,500 miles on them. But ride worthy. The bike had the toolkit, though no manual. All the lights worked. The controls were in good working order. About the controls, why the hell does the Katana have rubber mounted clip-ons? That annoys the hell out of me. Anyways, the chain was properly tensioned, with no rust on the inside of the links or rollers. The rear sprocket at least looked great. (No I didn't count the teeth) The brake rotors were not grooved, and the pads still had plenty of meat. We put it up on the center stand so i could wiggle the tires, and the hub bearings seemed fine. I bottomed out the front and rear shocks, no leaking seals. The oil looked very clean in the site glass (recent change). No tears in the seat. Ignition was good. The bike started up with choke engaged. (Cold night). It did not idle smooth, though that may be a few things. It wasn't as bad as I've seen.

$3200 was the offer made and accepted, conditional that I get to come back and ride it before I buy it.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to stay with team green!

I really did look at three ZX6E's. None of them were nice enough for the money being asked. ($2200 not running, $2500 rough cosmetic and mechanical, $3000 clean, painted purple needing a tune up)

And the 650 is a twin. I really wanted to get away from twins for touring. The zzr600, the zx6r, they are too aggressive in the ergos for me. The concourses are too heavy for my tastes. The z1000 seemed nice, but big, overpowered, and I'm not looking for a naked bike.

The truth is I may never be enough of a rider to push the Ninjette anywhere near it's limits, let alone the Katana. But I've already hit a wall with load carrying ability, reserve passing power, and comfort.

I've sat on dozens of bikes and rode a few. The Katana put the biggest grin on my face. It may not have the sex appeal of my black Ninja, but it just feels right. I'm hoping to get the same feeling this weekend when I test ride it.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
morgan46 said:
Well if a bike feels right a bike feels right ! Although if you are looking for touring I'd I've gone with a bigger 4pot like a blackbird or zx12r !i like the old classic katana 70's one!
Yeah a ZX12R... @180 BHP?!?! Where are you touring to? The moon? I like to see the tach needle hit the redline without the skin tearing off my face.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the Katana for a test ride in 33 deg. weather this morning. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, so it now has a home in my garage.

And it won't start because the battery is dead. Oh well. On the charger it goes, I'll have it tested tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.