Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The road was wide open, perfectly paved, and it was a nice cool day with plenty of sun. I rolled down both my windows, opened up the sunroof, and blasted my "driving" playlist through my stereo system. I didn't even notice that I was doing 100 mph. No other cars were on the road, and my car is super smooth (as it's still relatively brand new)

I figured, there are no other cars around... why not open her up a bit? So I floored it, and even at 100mph my car pulled hard. 115 now and an oncoming Minivan across the median flashed his lights at me three times. I immediately slowed back down to 55-ish just in time....

To roll right past a speed trap with a glaring police officer staring me down on a wide open road all alone cruising way too fast.

So thank you mini-van drivers who remember their days of sports cars but are now stuck with a family and children to take care of.

You just saved me my license!
-Aleckor

P.S. Don't do 115 mph if there are other cars around! Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Yeah I've never been that lucky, I've only outran the cops once at night...forget about doing it during the day. I guess though thats the price you pay for having a heavy foot and a performace car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport coupe. Black. 180hp 175lb-ft. Only 4 cylinders, but only 2600 lbs too. She'll do 130mph if I let her.

I am never selective about who I warn. If I see a speed trap, or just a police officer in general I'll likely flash my lights. Whoever happens to be there, gets the lucky warning.

The police around here are mean, too. I could have told him "There were no cars on the road!" all day long. It wouldn't make a difference. I had one YELL at me at the top of his lungs for doing 78 in a 45. (No cars on the road...) His sergeant came and calmed him down though, and I think that got me out of a pretty nasty ticket there.

I can't wait for my Ninja 250 though. Probably won't have enough money til the end of the year though, haha.
-Aleckor

P.S. A speeding ticket would actually make the wait for the Ninja longer. :(

·
4,853 Posts
ahaha yep! I had that same experience, I love it when their superiors come to calm down, they get ashamed and tell you just to go lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plus you never really see "Junkers" on the road anymore. At least not where I live. Even your "crappiest" used car is generally a 1995 or better, and has 80-90k miles on it. These aren't like the old days where you could trade your watch for a piece of crap car that backfires, has 300k miles on it, and is dripping pieces onto the road...

So I honestly don't understand what the big deal is about an open road, a brand new car, and a little bit of a lead foot. Yeah if I'm zipping through traffic, nail me. But come on. 78 in a 45 with a wide open road for miles in both directions in the middle of the night? All the traffic lights are permanently green until a car shows up on the side street.

Call me crazy, but I think speed limits should be reserved for specific times of day. 1 AM - 5 AM Mon-Thurs should be 75 mph instead of 45 mph.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I am not sure but in some countries there is an age limit on cars. but what about classics do they have to be inspected or something???

Met ? Ratty? anyone know

·
4,853 Posts
In Mississippi if you're under 18 you the restriction is no driving before 5 AM and 6 PM....which really sucked when I got my license...I was a mall rat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
First, us minivan drivers don't like going the speed limit either ahaha.

In response to Aleckor's post, I just hate how speed limits are tailored to the lowest tier of drivers - the people who just hit shit and can't competently operate a car. I'm perfectly able to go faster than 65 on the highway, but there are the people in the right lane (and occasionally the left lane) who go 50mph because they're scared shitless.

G

·
Drivers period, don't like cops that are just out to catch someone speeding (sitting on the roadside awaiting to ruin someone's whole day/wallet).

We do that all the time here, warn each other of speed traps by flashing the headlights to oncoming cars, everyone should look out for each other this way, if not start doing it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
zartan said:
I am not sure but in some countries there is an age limit on cars. but what about classics do they have to be inspected or something???

Met ? Ratty? anyone know
Classics have to be inspected, but i think they have different standards depending on the year. I think for your car to be classified as a classic it's gotta have a limit for mileage in a year and other stuff like that, but I'm not sure. Age limits, however, don't exist in this country at least as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
age limits are the same for driving...but if yru van/car (classic) is over a certain age then you dont have to pay road tax on it...

my gf's got an old VW camper van and she doesnt have to pay tax on that because its olllld

we have to be 17 in this country before we can drive

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
for you or me?

lol chuz as you can see im 17 with a brand new ninja 250 so im pretty lucky :p
and so's my gf with her camper XD

·
4,853 Posts
ur gonna get her knocked up in that camper met I can smell it all the way from over here. Then me and jester will be laughing our balls off while you'll be wishing you never had any.

ahahaha mean!!! LOL

Okay back to minivans and heavy feet!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts