Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new jugs, .50 pistons, gaskets, &
Reman head on this bike.
On the first try it fitted up and ran fairly decent, then I finished the paint & body, put it all together and now it won't fire up.
It sputters and tries to fire but just won't catch.
I checked fuel, spark and compression and all seem to be fine.
Any help would HELP !
Thanks in advance
Rick

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Choke working properly? Check for a kinked fuel line or vent hose from the tank. Also check that the vacuum hose to the petcock is connected and in good condition.

If there has been any fuel with Ethanol used it's possible you may have carb problems. For something of that age ('86), make sure you only run gas without Ethanol.

Jay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not thinking its a fuel problem even though that is the way it acts, I don't use any ethanol fuels on any of my bikes and when this first started, one of the first things I did was pull the tank and hook it up to an I.V. bottle, that didn't help any so I tried using the carbs from my 85 gpz 900.
I did fail to mention though that also when I turn the key switch off then back on after trying to crank it, it will.backfire almost every time which is yelling ignition or timing issues to me for some reason ????
I don't know, but its driving me insane because I have a feeling its something really simple but I just can't put my finger on it

·
Registered
674 Posts
I guess you just have to trace down anything that you may have changed by removing and replacing the bodywork for paint.

Battery condition is good? All connections are clean and tight? Nothing blocking the intake? Any loose, pinched, or frayed wires?

That's about all I can think of right now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.