Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! I have a question to you. When sometimes I go 90 miles (close to 100) (I know its illegal on most roads but anyway) rpm are high. They are about 11 almost 12 (red zone). Tell me how does it affect on the engine. Is it harmful if I do that not for a long time? DO I have to change the oil more often? Prompt me please :) I dont know much about it. please

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
How many miles have you done on your bike?
It shouldnt hurt it really as long as you dont sit at that type of rpm for like 30mins.
Keep the RPM varied but if you bikes broken in i shouldnt think it would do it any harm.
As for oil change it when the manual says? or when you want to.
This sound about right spooph? darkhorse? eric? you all know more about it than me

I hope this helps you shes

·
Registered
646 Posts
ZOMFG R U DOIN ILLEGAL STUFFZ? SRS DAT IS BAD.

I've never sat on 11k revs for longer than ...8 minutes? I don't imagine it'd hurt the bike really.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
whats with your typing ratty? hah

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno thats why i'm asking. My bike has almost 3000 km. Soon I'm gonna change the oil and filters. By the way what is the milage for break in period?
When I see that rpm are already 12 000 I release throttle because I care about my baby and dont want to hert her :):) Am I right?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Break in, and first service, is 1000kms. (Stricly speaking its 1600kms and 1000miles but in a km country its 1000kms for break in and first service)

So by now your oil and filters should have already been changed atleast once during first service.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got the bike it wasnt bran new I became the second owner. So I suppose previous owner did everything ( I hope ) Then when I said that red zone where is 12000 rpm I was wrong. Red zone starts from 13000 rpm. So if on 6-th gear I hold rpm 12-13000 for a while is it all right? And how long can I do so without any issues with an engine and blablabla? Need opinions of experts! ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
The stock Ninja with stock pipe will not reach 13K revs in 6th gear.

And your Ninja should have come with a handbook, I suggest you check that its first service was completed.

If you haven't got the handbook, I suggest you ask the previous owner for it. Important stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeahh I have regular stock exhaust and I was able to reach 12000. When I got my ninja it had 1850 km on it. So the previous owner was supposed to maintain the bike at 600 km if he wasnt a jerk. I think he did that. SO what else is that probably I may reach 13000 rpm if I'll ride downhill :) :p

·
Registered
646 Posts
Bike should of had a service at 1000km's.
You should seek to get your warranty handbook for the bike as it also serves as the bikes service history.

I'd be surprised if you're stock ninja were able to reach 13krpm.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you got 3000km on the bike.Stop worrying about the break in period.It's done.Concentrat on maintaining it.Now it's also a good time if you want to upgrade the oil used.Wash and reoil that air filter.Don't wait till the recommended 12000km.
In normal stock form it's unlikely you ever go to red line on 6th even when ducking deep.What I'm saying is as long as you are not STAYING in red your bike should be fine regardless of the distance and time.If the butt can hold on just stay on the road as long as you like.I used to come home from a long trip and the time was getting tight,I hold on top speed,where possible,for a couple of hours.No damage done.With a USBIII and AP installed it's quiete easy to step into and stay in red line(not recommended).
Two days ago my bike had it's 12000km service and the mechanic had to half strip the engine to check the valve clearance,syncronise the air intake and do compression check.Everything was in tip top form.No adjustments needed.
Don't worry.Do enjoy you bike.It will stay with you for a long long time.

After 12000km of hard riding the engine is perfect

Valve clearance perfect to.

Half naket bike in Kawasaki service room

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
7, I'm not going to tell you "this" or "that" is a good idea, or OK. It's not about that. What all these guys are saying is spot on.

1.) Make sure the bike has been maintained, and that you are maintaining it. I keep the engine at 9-10,000rpm on most of my commuting ALL THE TIME. I also change my oil every 1,500 miles (2,400km). Just like Eric, I've spent long time once at about 90mph coming home (2 hours). Your engine should be OK, NO MATTER HOW YOU RIDE IT, IF YOU KEEP IT MAINTAINED.

What you really SHOULD be asking is: "What do I need to do to be able to thrash my bike". The answer would be: Take the reccomended "maintenance" of your owner's manual, and divide the time by half.

Ex: Manual says oil change every 3,000miles. Do it every 1,500 miles.
Manual says tension chain every 5,000 miles. Do it every 2,500 miles.
Manual says lube chain every 400 miles. Do it every 200 miles.

If you do this, you do whatever with your bike, and the engine should stay just fine. The tolerances designed into this little thing are HUGE! It is built to last. To make sure it lasts, maintain it, and you can run at 90mph ALL DAY LONG. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
that reminds me... i need to get my bike on its stand tonight...wash it...and clean the chain... its been raining over here so my bike is so dirty its stupid, and i havnt had the chance to clean it..which makes me sad :(

yeh good advice on halfing everything spooph i think ill try that

·
Registered
646 Posts
Rained last weekend so my bike just copped a wash this morning.
Got a riding course this weekend and restore and exhaust going on tuesday so she needed the clean really.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeahh thank you guys got lots of useful info from all of you!! so we got to take care about our sweet bikes and keep on rock'n'ride :p :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts