Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The differences on paper are obvious.... the riding position a given, but I have an itch for an upgrade soon and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a supersport.

Which? Undecided but I did tease myself by sitting on an 2012 EVO 848. (SHAWINNNNG!)

I'm not getting rid of my 650R, this would be a 2nd bike.

Has anyone taken a ride on both? I'd like to know how much of a difference in torque or "feel" there is between the two.

I'm going to ask around to ride a few friends bikes in the spring but ideally I'd like to purchase this off season.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
This is only from what I have read numerous times!!
From a hard start, there is little difference since the 650R generates more low down torque than the 600's. Obviously once you get higher in the rev range the 600's will start showing their heels to the 650's.
The 600's are lighter, and more nimble, so there should be a major difference in the twisties, but again, I have not ridden one, so cannot say from experience.

What ever you buy, make sure you post lots of pics!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I know I need to try one myself, just hard to do this time of year. Most people have put them away.

I was speaking to a follow rider, he has a Ninja 1000. He said I wouldn't notice a huge difference and I should think of going bigger.... Makes the Duc pull ahead of the ZX-6R

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Stealth said:

I know I need to try one myself, just hard to do this time of year. Most people have put them away.

I was speaking to a follow rider, he has a Ninja 1000. He said I wouldn't notice a huge difference and I should think of going bigger.... Makes the Duc pull ahead of the ZX-6R
There's a massive difference between the 650and6r you'd def notice the difference !

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Stealth said:

Also I kept with an 848 on my last trackday on my 6r but have to admit they are an awesome looking bike!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what the duc has on every bike though. It looks nice.... but does that justify the price? lol maybe....

I hate to wait until the spring, especially since the duc 2012s are what I like, not the 2013.. but I will be signing up for a FAST track course this summer. I'll get a good idea then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started off on a 650R, and then moved on to a 6R. HUGE difference!!!! The 6R is stronger off the blocks and just gets exponentially better from there! Handling, brakes, and after a few rides, added confidence on knowing what the bike can do.

I have since moved onto a 10R, and the differences aren't AS dramatic, but close...
(6R had 129 at the wheel, 10R has 187!)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
0'11ZX10R said:
I started off on a 650R, and then moved on to a 6R. HUGE difference!!!! The 6R is stronger off the blocks and just gets exponentially better from there! Handling, brakes, and after a few rides, added confidence on knowing what the bike can do.

I have since moved onto a 10R, and the differences aren't AS dramatic, but close...
(6R had 129 at the wheel, 10R has 187!)
You're 6r had 129at the wheel ????what the hell you do to it lol my 2010 zx6r with power commander filter and de-cat made 115 at rear wheel (without ram air so moving that makes 10-12bhp)so 127 ish with ram air !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same set-up as yours, PC-III, Two Bros carbon can, decat'. But I had a friend who installed a modified cam, slightly bigger injectors for intake, and even larger mod for exhaust. Takes advantage of the freed up exhaust...

PCIII was a custom map because of this. Took all day of adjustments on the dyno to get it right for that #!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
0'11ZX10R said:
Same set-up as yours, PC-III, Two Bros carbon can, decat'. But I had a friend who installed a modified cam, slightly bigger injectors for intake, and even larger mod for exhaust. Takes advantage of the freed up exhaust...

PCIII was a custom map because of this. Took all day of adjustments on the dyno to get it right for that #!
I've got pc5 on mine ,what year was yours?whst mod was it for exhaust ?i know you guys have loads of emission restriction Etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Titanium all the way to the can, that along with the bigger lobe on the cam, for better exhaust takes better advantage of the freed up exhaust.

Emission have no restrictions on bikes here at all.
07 6R. I am pretty sure it had a PCIII on it. It might have been a IV.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
0'11ZX10R said:
Titanium all the way to the can, that along with the bigger lobe on the cam, for better exhaust takes better advantage of the freed up exhaust.

Emission have no restrictions on bikes here at all.
07 6R. I am pretty sure it had a PCIII on it. It might have been a IV.
I thought us bikes have lots of emission controls or is it just Cali,I've seen power figures from alot of us bikes and they seem fairly low ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in Cali, yes, buying the bike off the showroom floor, there are restrictions with sound and emissions. But once the bike is yours, I can't see it ever being checked again. Bikes are not smogged like cars are here, since all bikes are considered a 'high efficiency' vehicle.

Even out of the showroom, all bikes are the same now, no CA specific bikes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.