Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

40K to go!

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  BlackBoar 
#1 ·

See less See more
#7 ·
I thought you guys went to the metric measurement system years ago, aren't you meant to be in km's now?

Anywho, well done Spooph, nice job!

#9 ·
thanks guys. I've been saying for a long time that I was coming up on it, so I thought I'd provide proof.... :p

Virt, I don't know how long the engine is designed to last, but I don't see how it couldn't get 100K on all the original parts with good maintenance... I mean, it's a solid, fairly low-tech design. All the parts that count are metal, and as long as I don't modifiy it for the worse, it should last, right? I guess I aim to find out... :p

Zandit, the imperial system is most prevalent in America, but at best, it's about 60% imperial, 40% metric... Yes, there was a large push to go metric for a few decades, but it just didn't quite catch on, and now when we wrench, it's not uncommon to use both measurements for bolts and things.... I guess they just wanted to keep it interesting... :p

#11 · (Edited)
Right then, the Ninjette turned 40K! And at the very least, at the bitter end of 2010. Which means it's taken me 2.5 years to cover that distance, Cherry's bought-day is sometime in June, 2008. So, that's a bit less than I had hoped for, but I guess that just means we get to play a bit harder next year! ;D Wish Cherry a happy birthday, she's done amazingly well! I've loved every moment of it so far!

Edit: Oh yea, what have I learned? Once her cam chain starts clicking, put in thicker oil. I can adjust the chain smoothly to factory spec by feel now. I can get 300miles to a tank, I can keep up with most 600 going DOWN a mountain. AND I can off-road a lot better than those 600's, but not quite as good as a dirt bike... Um, let's see. She isn't very comfortable for more than 400 miles at a time (we'll be fixing that soon with a new seat), oh yea, and 2-year old brake fluid doesn't grip nearly as good as brand new brake fluid and proper braided steel lines (soon to come). That she flies very stable, and lands with the grace of swan. I won't make her jump higher than a foot though... Most importantly, that 22hp is all you need, and it's bloody fun EVERYWHERE! I love my ninjette dearly, and here's a toast to many more joyous miles ahead, eh Cherry?

Attachments

#16 ·
Hmmm, has someone been keeping secrets??!!
Hmmm, has someone changed the bar setup on their Ninja??!!
Hmmm, has someone been riding their Ninja over jumps without taking photos of the awesomeness??!!

Spooph, What the hell is going on??!!!!

Oh, BTW, congrats on the 40K!! :D

#17 ·
lol, Zandit, yes, I've had new clip-ons made. It's been a long pain-in-the-ass process finding one machinist willing to do the gig, then another, and now a third.... Ugh, reliable machinists are horrible to find. Maybe it's me, I don't know. I wanted to post it up once I was done, but eh, I guess the secret is out now...

And I've been meaning to get a pick of me jumping the ninja, but I haven't figure out how to set the shot up yet.... I don't have a track where I can do it, and timing it during day-light is going to be difficult. A buddy and I might have to take a day off to make that one happen... But the "jumps" are just on the road...

Things are busy, mmmkay? I'll get to it eventually! :p And thanks!

#21 ·
Alright, time for an update. Somewhere in Nevada she turned 60. Doesn't look too bad for a gal her age. And a photo of me at 70mph through CA. She is showing her age though, but I think prematurely because of me, and my inability to maintain her properly. I have to redo the head again, and will probably end up rebuilding the brakes again, and bearings - She's got a nasty wobble at 90mph in a curve going downhill (the only time I can get her to that speed at 7,000ft). Forks too, wheel bearings and swing arm bearing, not to mention a new chain. I chewed through this one pretty quick - I have to get better about that. And tuning. Have an Innovate setup now, just gotta weld on the bung so I can use it. This summer will be a wrenching summer, get the bike in a much better place.

Also, kinda over the 250. Don't want to trade the handling/weight for anything, but tired of being forced slower by the wind. OK, fair, it was a 65mph crosswind, but still. Definitely want more power and comfort. Thinking I should focus on the basket case in my parent's garage, or the classic behind it...

Kinda lost the urge to ride as well. Almost want to get back into cars. Would rather get into planes though - but can't afford that, at least not for another year or so. hrma hrma hrma, what to do... I'll probably just get her fixed and say screw it, and stick to my goal of 100K, only time will tell.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.