Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't see this becoming a big thing in the us. It's always been an American thing to
Have the biggest, fastest, and strongest. There is plenty bigger than a 400 out there and I see America continuing to want to run the biggest bikes we can handle. For example, zx-12r wasn't enough so now we are up to a 1400. When does it stop? I'm not one to talk as I have a 900 and love the pure power that she produces but there is always the interest in more power and greater displacements. I think something like a 400 is a lot of fun to ride but the need for unnecessarily powerful machines will continue in the states.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't see this becoming a big thing in the us. It's always been an American thing to
Have the biggest, fastest, and strongest. There is plenty bigger than a 400 out there and I see America continuing to want to run the biggest bikes we can handle. For example, zx-12r wasn't enough so now we are up to a 1400. When does it stop? I'm not one to talk as I have a 900 and love the pure power that she produces but there is always the interest in more power and greater displacements. I think something like a 400 is a lot of fun to ride but the need for unnecessarily powerful machines will continue in the states.
That is funny coming from someone riding a ZX-9!

Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. Little contradictory and hypocritical but I too am addicted to the rush of bigger and more powerful machines. I love my bike and honestly don't understand how they can get much faster but I know they do. Somehow they do and I know I'll buy a bigger one some day

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
zx900r rider, I think you're right on the money about people seeking big power, and the flip side is the belief that the 400 won't cut it. (or a 650 even, and not a 250...) Too bad really, because all 3 are great bikes in their own right.

I've said before that it takes a certain rider (and there are many out there, if not the majority) who appreciates a small displacement bike to "get it" and enjoy it. I have a 650 now and LOVE it. But, I live in Canada where the 400 is available and I would still consider it when I replace my Versys down the road. I don't see it as downgrading, because I think it is a great bike and I'd love to own and ride one.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The industry counts on the U.S. for the majority of their sales of bigger bikes, while the rest of the World gets smaller. Someone else has already said it, we have to have faster, better and bigger. Sort of matches with the egos I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of these are great points. As depicted in my profile picture my uncle has a late 70s Suzuki b125(I think). Not ballsy by any means but I rose that and had a great time listening to a sweet two stroke designed for the average joe to take out for a great ride.

THere aren't many out there that can really appreciate a great riding bike regardless of engine size and not to say I'm an expert by any means but I am coming to terms with the fact that I can have a great time riding any bike for the pure enjoyment of the freedom it provides.

I love my 900 but can greatly appreciate the roots from which it came.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
zx900r_rider said:
I think it was the Japanese who gave you the 1400. ;-) lol bigger isn't always better it's down to the rider and machine in most cases!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Don't forget the even bigger bikes....Triumph Rocket III with a 2300cc triple, and while I don't know what cc they are, there are the 6 cyl Beemers and Gold Wings as well. I believe they are up there too.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
zandit said:
Don't forget the even bigger bikes....Triumph Rocket III with a 2300cc triple, and while I don't know what cc they are, there are the 6 cyl Beemers and Gold Wings as well. I believe they are up there too.
True but they weren't made for outright top end speed like the the blackbird zx12r hayabusa and zzr1400 ! You've got the Suzuki b-king Yamaha v-max and all the big cruisers (boring)too!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yeah they built it but because someone said lets go bigger. My guess was to appease the American market.
I think it's simply the way things are. As a sportbike manufacturer, they want to be on top, say we have the fastest bike out there. with strict emissions, going bigger is the only to do that....

Don't forget the now discontinued Honda Rune with a 1832cc 6 cylinder. It's a huge freaking bike.

View attachment 3205
That is a good looking gold wing!

Unless there is an insurance rebate, or some other form of monetary incentive for Americans, there is no point to putting a 400cc in between the 250 and the 650. I think the thought process is "the 650 is docile enough for those wanting more than the 250"...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
spooph said:
I think it's simply the way things are. As a sportbike manufacturer, they want to be on top, say we have the fastest bike out there. with strict emissions, going bigger is the only to do that....

That is a good looking gold wing!

Unless there is an insurance rebate, or some other form of monetary incentive for Americans, there is no point to putting a 400cc in between the 250 and the 650. I think the thought process is "the 650 is docile enough for those wanting more than the 250"...
Over here it used to be you start on 50cc then go 125cc then any bike restricted to 33bhp but we went for rgv250 !depending on what test you done you could then go direct access to any bike ! The usual would be 50cc 125cc then a restricted 400 like cbr vfr zxr 400 etc then big bike test and get what you like !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got my Ninja 400r yesterday. I save 400$ a year on insurance a year because it is a 399 cc. After 10 years, I add to 4000.00 in saving! I big plus for me. It is just perfect for me. My dad had a 350 Honda when I was young. I remember, It was super fun!!!! 399 cc! it goes too 130 km/h , It's fine with me. The US should impot it!!!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Banaca, is your new bike speed limited? That speed seems extremely low, especially compared to the 250R which is capable of around 150km/h, or have you just not opened it up fully?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.