Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in the Mountains of NC yesterday, when wind started picking up rather quickly. Gusts were in the 20-30mph range. I learned alot about the bike to say the least. First of all, I am 180 lbs, 6ft tall. I was driving about 55-65 mph mostly. The 250R is so light, the wind just destroys any fun your having. It was seriously blowing me around like a rag doll, as much as 5 feet left and right I would say. The first large gust almost cost me, as I was about 6 inches from the shoulder when it finally let up and I was able to get back closer to the center line.

Bottom line is I would not reccomend riding the 250 in wind over 10-15mph, at most. If you are a begginer especially. I learned from it all right, I learned that wind and a 330lb bike dont go well together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, today is windy as hell too. I'm not looking forward to riding across the high rise bridge in a little while. And it has steel grates :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
as far as i know...i believe the 250r is only about 30-40 lbs lighter than the 600cc class. is that affecting that much alright? i rode it once across a bridge with really strong wind, don't know how fast the wind was though. it wasn't that bad, but it just wasn't relaxing at all...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am in Chicago area and this past weekend when it was nice and windy I was being blown around pretty good too. I am about 5'8" and 150lbs and trust me I am no match

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's been windy here too, I was struggling to stand still having a smoke out my front door.. Good job I'm not allowed on my bike yet.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Riding in the wind can be tuff, but being that my commute is mostly straight, I enjoy riding in the wind... It makes the straight stuff more curvy...

G

·
It's always a challange here in NC. 25-35 mph crosswind on a bridge going 70+ in the tuck. I really don't like riding tuck very long, it hurts my neck and back.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Curb weight for the 250 is 170 kg (374 lbs), the 500 is 197 kg (433 lbs) and the ZX6R is 191 kg (420 lbs). So, only a 59 pound difference between those three bikes. On the other end of the scale you get the Concours 14 at 308 kg (677 lbs) and the Vulcan 1700 at 402 kg (884 lbs). But you give up gas milage and lots of moey for the weight class.

Speaking of the money, my un-scientific analysis shows the Ninja 250 (Canadian pricing) is $12.56/lbs, the ZX6R is $29.88/lbs and the Concours is $28.72/lbs. So anyway you look at it, the Ninja 250's a bargain!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Oooopps, you're right, must have been a fat fingered type-o. I meant to type one seven zero. I modified the post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will get accustom to in riding in the wind, where I live in Texas, it's not normal if we don't have wind. Last week I went on a 150 mile road trip with average wind of 15-20 mph and gust of up to 30 mph. I didn't find it that bad at all, but I will not ride when we have 50 mph + wind !!

NCSTEVE83 said:
First of all, I am 180 lbs, 6ft tall...
I'm only 5'3 and 135 lbs, the bigger you are, the more wind resistance maybe ???

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I rather drive in a windy condition then in the rain... tuck down and cut tru the wind... I recently bought a double bubble winshield and it helps a lot!! Wind gust at 35 mph.

·
Registered
874 Posts
NCSTEVE83 said:
Yea I ordered a Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen, hopefully it will help out some.
I didn't know that zero gravity made motorcycle windshields out of chewing gum. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
We had some serious wind here last week. I got caught out in it and just tucked down. Didn't seem to be too bad. Would a bigger bike really make all that much difference?

·
Registered
16 Posts
wind thats just part of riding a bike i ride all year round so after a while its not that bad the only time im not on the bike is when we get snow and that only a few days a year

·
Registered
267 Posts
it's important not to fight the wind too much because once it lets up you could find yourself going into the next lane. just kinda stay relaxed and pay attention

1 - 20 of 27 Posts