Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday evening we( myself and 3 friends all with 600s) rode about 100 miles. I noticed that on straight stretches if they felt like it would all one at a time fly past me like I was sitting still. I kinda got a helpless feeling lol but when it came to tight turns I felt like they were in the way. Probably because I have a lighter bike and can handle turns better. Anyone else ever get this feeling?

· Registered
9,088 Posts
A lighter bike is much more nimble 4 sure....
That's great for them twisties.....
But on them straight stretches there gunna say....
Cya........LOL
If that straight stretch is long enough ur either never gunna see them again.....
Or they wait for ur slow ass.....LOL
I guess the 500-600 class bikes would be the perfect do it all bike....

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Sometimes I think I should have got a bigger bike. Then again there have been some instances where I feel I'd have died on a bigger one
I just have a 650 sport.....not a R....
It does quite good i think......
Red lines at 11 like the R, but has only 2 cyl. instead of the 4.
Of course from what i read it has less HP, but does have a good amount of torque.
It's ok......
But now i wished i went with a Z1000.....
Maybe next year I'll be able to....
I dont ride track, but do enjoy the mountain twisty's here.
I don't drag my knee, but have had the peg nut that hangs down scrape.
I guess it's leaning quite a bit to have that happen.
I've ran with the 6R's, and haven't really had any problem hanging with them.
Not sure what the 6R's top speed is, but i stay with them pritty good till 125 MPH.
That's fast enough anyway.....
Fastest my gps says my bike will go is 138 down a real good hill.....
I run road pilot 3 tires, and have felt my rear start to slide a bit at one time.....
Now i know the limit.....won't go there again.....
I value my life....Hey i'm 58 now....i heal a lot slower.....LOL
I grew up on dirt bikes n atvs.....
It hurts to dump those too.....LOL
Remember....A bit of common sence goes a long way.....

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I'm good with the 250 for a start. I'm planning on moving up in about 9 months though. Well maybe ten because ill have to use that month to get back into riding since being in the military I'm gonna be away from my bike for a good while cuz I can't take It with me :/ but ill have some extra money to buy a bigger bike.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Well I guess I'm good with the 250 for a start. I'm planning on moving up in about 9 months though. Well maybe ten because ill have to use that month to get back into riding since being in the military I'm gonna be away from my bike for a good while cuz I can't take It with me :/ but ill have some extra money to buy a bigger bike.
:thumb:

· Registered
260 Posts
Yep. I can't wait to get a bigger bike already, but I'm still glad I started with this 250.
I started on a 250 before moving to my 600, and I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I didn't ride with too many supersports until I got one of my own, but I did here and there.

The thing about a lot of SS riders, they didn't start on a 250, they think they know how to ride better than they actually do. I gained a ton of experience on the 250 before jumping up. So now, when they try to say "see ya" on the straight away's I'm right there with them... but they are still in the way on the twisties.

An experienced rider will always win out, you'll see it a lot on the track. 250's passing 600's, because the experience factor. Enjoy the 250 and everything you are learning on it, you'll appreciate it even more when you do jump up.

· Registered
615 Posts
jrock2192 said:
How much experience would any of you recommend that I have until I would be fine on a zx14r? Right now I'd definitly die on one, but I think it would be so bad ass to have that much bike.
A very small percentage of riders need to have that much bike. They are almost impractical to even own. Maybe it's just me but I think it's kinda dumb. They don't look as nice as other ninja models, they are bigger and bulkier, I don't see the reason why you'd ever have to hit over 200+ , and riding around town you'd probably only use 1 or 2 gears. Idk maybe it's just me. Ill stick with my 600 and keep my mouth shut I suppose.

As for actually answering your question, I'd say get a few years under your belt (and a few different size bikes, don't just jump from a 250 to a zx14). Learn how to ride each bike and improve your skills. There's no point in riding a zx14 if you don't even know how to hit a corner and play in the twistys. Just think about it. That's just my opinion tho.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
Right......14R just to much unless ur really gunna do serious racing.
Now a Ninja 1000, Z1000 or a 10R......:thumb:
All depending on what ur planning to do with it....:whistling:
I like the looks n feel of the Z1000, and hope in a few years to upgrade to that....:dance:

· Registered
7 Posts
jrock2192 said:
How much experience would any of you recommend that I have until I would be fine on a zx14r? Right now I'd definitly die on one, but I think it would be so bad ass to have that much bike.
It really depends on the rider, I had very little SS expirience, takin a friends gs500 down the road a few times, and my first bike was the 10r. It's about respecting the power until your comfortable. I think starting big made me better because the first time I rode a zx6 it was a like Ridin a dirt bike, it seemed very easy.

· Registered
7 Posts
earlthepearl said:
Right......14R just to much unless ur really gunna do serious racing.
Now a Ninja 1000, Z1000 or a 10R......:thumb:
All depending on what ur planning to do with it....:whistling:
I like the looks n feel of the Z1000, and hope in a few years to upgrade to that....:dance:
I agree 100%... The 14 is pretty much a drag bike... Doesn't change the fact that I want one real bad lol

· Registered
10 Posts
I have the ninja 300 and it's the same for me, on mountain roads through the twisty parts its really nimble and I can pull ahead, but as soon as a straight appears all the 600's fly past and I'm left with the tapping of their gravel on my visor haha! As for the ninja 14r I took one for a test ride, I've been riding for a few years now but that bike just has obscene amounts of power, especially when you set the traction control and limiters off, I won't go anywhere near it until I've had at least another 2 or 3 years under my belt!!

Ninja Life :)

· Registered
9,088 Posts
I have the ninja 300 and it's the same for me, on mountain roads through the twisty parts its really nimble and I can pull ahead, but as soon as a straight appears all the 600's fly past and I'm left with the tapping of their gravel on my visor haha! As for the ninja 14r I took one for a test ride, I've been riding for a few years now but that bike just has obscene amounts of power, especially when you set the traction control and limiters off, I won't go anywhere near it until I've had at least another 2 or 3 years under my belt!!

Ninja Life :)
Don't be a Girl......:whistling:

1,465 Posts
keith217 said:
I feel you. My 250R handles great in the canyons, but when it comes to the straight aways, I feel embarassed. I can definitely keep up with them though, still plenty faster than most cars on the road.
Guys. 250's are great handling bikes but ifyou feel Embarrassed its because you have allowed un real expectations to exist. However,now they should be humbled. There is nothing wrong with getting a small bike but be real. The 250 is a commuter bike that has been marketed as a street machine. All part of of the kawasaki strategy. Yes a bigger bike is nice bit a 600 riding with 1000's will feel embarrassed as well is they are to have unreal expectations as well. No matter how good the rider. I suggest getting the 600 because its all around performance and comfort. However the cadillac of kawasaki's super sport line up is actually the zx14 not just a bike for drag racing. Its still and comfort is what put it into a sport touring bike. Super nice ride with great smooth easy interstate or highway driving. No need to feel like you need another gear even if you have them. The zx14 is not you curving bike although it can be done just takes alot of skill and honestly its alot for many of your veteran riders including myself. No room for technical errors or physical errors either

· Registered
28 Posts
Good thread so far guys. .. I've been riding my 250 for about 2 years. I'm really comfortable with it and look forward to every corner on my commute. It gets me out of bed in the morning :)
Today I got a chance to run with some 600cc guys on the highway, it was fun however those bikes are significantly faster. I have a video up. .
However, I'm happy with the 250 until I can afford the bigger bike. Insurance rates are higher on those bikes anyhow. Enjoy how light weight, Easy to handle and the powerband that is fun enough to play with especially around the corners. It is faster than most cars. I do commute everyday.
To be honest I may move up to the 300 and ride that for a while. As it has more revamped features than my 2008 ninja 250r.
Thanks for reading.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.