Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok haven't been on here in forever i apologize.

my bad.

I will throw up a tutorial with photos of how to with nifty arrows and such.

give me like 2 days, it is memorial weekend afteral.

im unemployed with nothing better to do so .

25$ muffler, are you ready?

coming later this week!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 25$ muffler tutorial ~coming shortly

Ok so here we go.

you MUST forgive me this is all from memories "of which i have an untrained photographic memory so it wont be that bad ;)"

FIRST STEPS.

things you will need.
welder welder welder + welding skills. circular saw or chop saw and be at least 10% smarter than the tool.

1.chop saw with steel blade or circular saw with resin blade. (ace\home depot\chinamart.)
2. Race car muffler baffling, (ebay it about 17$ +shipping so call it 19)

* if you can't locate a baffled piece of steel or stainless then follow this*

3. go to autozone,advanced auto parts, some-wheres that sells muffler parts. get yourself a 2ID pipe about 18in long with or without a coupler 'you'll see what i mean when you look at them'
4. go get yourself a 1\4 or 3\16th's drill bit preferably titanium or high carbon steel. 'trust me you should get more than one.'
5. now you will need a small tool set included MUST HAVE. 'black or silver Alanwrench set, screw drivers both Philips head (X) and flat head (-)
6. Vice.
7. Hammer reasonably large. (1-4lbs)
8. Steel chisel set "the ones made to chisel steel !!!!!!! they do not explode when hit this is important unless you want steel embedded into your flesh!
9. anything else you can think of. this can include but not limited to the following.

Beer ( i don't like it but some ppl do.)
music
females 'to provide smartass comments'
friends to help you out
about 10hours of your time.

now we begin.

If you were lucky enough to not have been able to find the perforated stainless tube then start drilling, no this isn't a joke get yourself a BEEFY drill press and start drilling. (this took me about 6\7 hrs. if you have found the perforated tube then we continue (if not then drill it until you have no more room for holes, i found drilling in straight lines along the length of the pipe worked best) if your stuck drilling just come back after you've torn your rotator cuff ;).

As you remove the exhaust 'this is where your flat head or philips comes in handy, at the base of the exhaust 'by the foot peg' look under there and you'll see a clamp thing holding a shroud on REMOVE IT.

now you should see a clamp i think its like 7\16th's or 1\2in. remove it.
now by the passenger's foot peg there is another bolt remove that WHILE HOLDING THE muffler just in case it happens to slip which it shouldn't.

Remove your muffler, BE CAREFUL there is a small circular gasket that is made of lead to seal the exhaust if you damage it you will need a new one or you'll loose the seal and it will run funny. "back-pressure and all that."

Remove by twisting and pulling toward the rear of the bike keeping the upward angle!

should remove nicely, now pull off the lead gasket, no worries just don't suck your thumb.

now put the muffler in the vice with a towel so you don't scratch it all to hell.
tighten it down nicely with the exit hole facing up.

Remove the rearmost cover with the alan set. "careful you might need to hit it with pb blast to help them coming out. once removed move the pipe to the horizontal 'holes to your left and right'

CUT

bust out the circular saw or chop saw and cut below the black part where you see the factory weld, DO NOT TRY CUTTING THAT welding steel makes it harder than the steel around it trust me don't do it you'll kill yourself!

Cut it clean off, pull the guts out, it will all slide out.

look in the end that retrieve's the exhaust "nearest the drivers foot peg" you'll see 4 spot welds bust out the chisels and cut those off using your Big Bubba Hammer.

after that is done, take your now wholly tube and cut the pipe flayer off IF IT HAS IT if not continue.

take the piece that fell off of the muffler "not the long one the black cover' clean up your cut with a file. now decide how big of an exhaust you want, to make it smaller just cut down the length of the pipe to make it narrower, narrower will make more of a crackle leaving it alone will produce a deep throaty sound.

Now you need to devise your own means of making the black-cap 'end of muffler piece that the allan wrenches go through." a larger diameter hole if your leaving the pipe at 2inch. if not then weld it to the cap and continue.

after you've welded the pipe to the cap of the exhaust wrap the muffler packing tightly around the pipe " i have no idea how much wrapping affects the sound you'd need to talk to someone else about that i just made the damn thing.

slide it on down the empty exhaust tube and put it on, fire it up and listen mod as you see fit, less wrapping, tighter, more wrapping and all that good jazzz.

after you get it all done slide it down till it seats with where you cut it. tack weld it on opposing sides then do the whole circle, wait until it cools then grind it flat.

reattach it and take it for a spin ' the sound will change as it breaks in'

i HIGHLY recommend painting it with 500F manifold paint from AUtozone or other place that sells that junk. Mine is rusting and needs treated and painted, I have yet to do this.

500F paint SHOULD be sufficient but don't hold me to that.

Theres my tutorial hope it helps you out.

late but never missing out.

first but not last tutorial By Audacia,

Disclaimer

I WILL NOT AND CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE TUTORIAL CREATED BY (AUDACIA). BY FOLLOWING THIS DISCLAIMER YOU AGREE THAT YOU WONT FILE A SUITE IF YOU 1. if following this tutorial results in your death you wont sue my broke ars. 2. if you kill someone out of frustration you wont sue my broke ars. 3. if you break your bike you wont sue me cause I'm broke and can't be held responsible for you breaking YOUR OWN DAMNED BIKE.

end

after buying all things for this i spent no more then 25$, I bought the muffler packing, drill bits and tube i came damn close to 26$.

Redrider was the inspiration for me to do this and he gets full credit for the idea, Redrider i <3 you. =D.

give him his just due.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the black thing is what i refer to as 'the cap' and the ars end of my bike

This is what your tube should look like after you spent 6hrs drilling it out on SLOW so you don't warp the drill bit. What i did and forgot to mention in the tut is that i ran 2 drill bits, drilled about 10 holes quickly with lots of 3IN1 oil and switched, this sped things up considerably.

Lead gasket i was refering to.

lots and lots of holes later

I might have more images however they aren't on my computer there on one of two laptops i own so I'll have to look at those tomorrow and find out if i have anymore. if i do i'll edit them so there more kind to the viewer and add those nifty arrows i talked about!

·
Registered
79 Posts
comprehensive <3 I have 3rd gen ninja so to do that with 2 pipes would take.. lots of time and probably not sound as good because they're smaller anyway. besides I do not have welding resources of that magnitude =(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welding was the easiest part. no I think that if you had duel pipes it would sound more like a honda rebel as apposed to a sport bike.

comprehensive?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the black thing is what i refer to as 'the cap' and the ars end of my bike

This is what your tube should look like after you spent 6hrs drilling it out on SLOW so you don't warp the drill bit. What i did and forgot to mention in the tut is that i ran 2 drill bits, drilled about 10 holes quickly with lots of 3IN1 oil and switched, this sped things up considerably.

I might have more images however they aren't on my computer there on one of two laptops i own so I'll have to look at those tomorrow and find out if i have anymore. if i do i'll edit them so there more kind to the viewer and add those nifty arrows i talked about!

Lead gasket i was refering to.

lots and lots of holes later

Pictures fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i was just wondering if you lost any power by doing this because iv heard many of rumors. and how does evrone have the chrome on there muffler like that. all i have is a chrome end cover the rest is a flat black "high heat paint" an it rolled off the showroom floor like that brand new. if you can help thanks

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
If you have a 2010 model or later, then the exhaust is black like yours, previous years, 08-09, were polished chrome!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Well the surprising thing is, alot of people were painting the chrome exhaust black anyway, and Kawasaki was watching!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
why would you paint it black i mean i think either way they both look good bt i guess the chrome makes it look a little fancy. has anyone else tried this $25 muffler trick?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
nope, we all pretty much follow the $36 muffler by Red Rider....

edit: The ones willing to do it anyway... Most people just buy an aftermarket exhaust...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts