Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 1999 Busa, one of the very few in the UK at the time.
Was loving it, did 15,000 miles in 18 months and used rather a lot of tyres.

Date was 21st Sept 2001, ten days after 9/11. Thats how it stuck in my mind.

A sunny friday afternoon, out playing on some country roads, on my way to see a bike mate "Big John". I was chilled as hell, lovely winding country road and I was'nt gassing the bike, just chilled. :)

Gentle left hand bend, blind right...sweeping through..... but as I entered the blind right hander, there it was !!!!!! One of those ;) A car well over on my side of the road, 1 second to impact. BANG it hit me on my right hand side, instinct told me to lift the bars to try and change direction and miss the car. Take a long shot and hope to live?

I went over and over and over......... ................and over.
Ended up unconscious and badly bust up in a deep ditch at the side of the country road. The driver never stopped and there were no witnesses. Time to die ? 1 hour to die ! So they told me.

Fortunately I was a 21 stone big ugly chewed up piece of gristle back then, fit and strong.

When I regained consciousness, I was lucky my arms were'nt too badly damaged. I managed to lift the Busa up off me and slide out from underneath. That hurt and although I knew I was bust up quite bad, I had no idea just how bad at the time. I didnt know I had less than an hour to die.
Being a practical and pragmatic kinda guy, I took my lid off and managed to unfasten my bike jacket to reach inside for my cellphone. Yeah I knew if I didnt save me, no one else would. ;) :)

So I called 999 or 911 as you guys know.
The emergency control room despatched two police cars, a paramedic, a fire truck and the air ambulance. The race was on. You see I wasnt very sure where I was after coming round.

As I was sliding back into unconsciousness, a patrol car found me by pure chance, the air ambulance had been criss-crossing above me in the standard search pattern, but couldnt see me from above with overhanging trees and I was covered in broken branches.

Anyway, neck brace, body board, stitches, morphine, IV drip and 6 firemen picked me up and threw me in the air ambulance !

I checked out on the operating table under spinal block, no general anasthetic due to a lung full of fluid. Thankfully they managed to haul me back.

6 years of major surgery, physiotherapy and treatment and almost 4 years on elbow crutches. I have £12,000 worth of internal titanium CADCAM engineering and set off airport metal detectors.

I couldnt wait to get back on !!! People think I`m nut's still riding bikes.
But its all there is....... there is nothing else.

I guess it wasnt my day to die :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
WOW!!! What a story!!! Sorry to hear, but glad to know you are around and doing well and still riding. I don't know if I would get back on a bike after that...nevr know unless it happens and I pray that it NEVER happens!!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Wow, great story and very happy your still with us! So, um, how close are you to being the 6 million dollar man? Can you clear buildings in a single bound yet? Oh wait, that's the other guy...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys :thumb:

Yes I am one lucky chap ! and still able to ride :D

There is a strong message with this good news story, that is to make sure you carry your cellphone everytime you go out on your bike. ;)
Carry it on you and don`t leave it on the bike or in a tank bag.
Incase you get seperated from the bike in a smash.

I know there have been bikers who havent been so lucky as I was and
I can tell you how I learned about humility and humanity very hard in my face.

Love and respect to all the wives, partners, families and friends of those killed by "hit and run" drivers, Those who didnt make it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!!! What a story!!! Sorry to hear, but glad to know you are around and doing well and still riding. I don't know if I would get back on a bike after that...nevr know unless it happens and I pray that it NEVER happens!!!
It was one of those: wrong time, wrong place. :thumb:
We all dread those kind of bike events, where you have either no, or little chance.

I could never give up bikes..... biker for life :)
I do'nt ride so much now and spend more time in the bike garage working on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, great story and very happy your still with us! So, um, how close are you to being the 6 million dollar man? Can you clear buildings in a single bound yet? Oh wait, that's the other guy...
Taa spooph !

Not sure about jumping over a building. I could probaaly lurch, stumble and then fall through it ? :D

As the nurses on Trauma Ward said to me..... "Col, if you had been a smaller guy on a little bike, you would have died on impact"
Thats good enough for me ! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Thats a sickening, but great story to read, thanks for sharing!
I hope that I am never put in that position either from my fault or someone elses.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Crazy story, its crazy to read that and then believe your still here.

Glad to see your fine now after the long healing process!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crazy story, its crazy to read that and then believe your still here.

Glad to see your fine now after the long healing process!
Kinda mad isnt it? :)

My injuries were serious and lifetime and have deteriorated since. I am in hospital on monday the 15th with my ankle. I am registered disabled.

It gave me a very different perspective on life ;)..... I understand the issues painfully well for the less strong people in society and the disabled.

I was lucky in many ways, because none of my family could understand or help. It was my biker mates who were there rock solid all the way for me !
They all stood by me without question, without prejudice, they were there.
I think only other bikers can understand? :thumb:

As for getting back on ?
It took me 18 months of hard practice alone in my garage before I could even swing my leg over a bike.

My biggest motivation not to end up in a wheelchair was to ride a bike again. That was my motivation to get up and fight.

I love bikes and the people who surround it. :)
Bikers are the best people in the world bar non.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite a story HOS. A survival mindset will keep you alive when others are dying and you are living proof.
The survivalist mindest is good when you're on a bike, because you never know whats going to happen out on the road.

But in my case I think I was just lucky. :)
Mind you, had I not been carrying my cellphone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.