Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my wife and I riding together, I thought it might be convenient to be able to converse a bit, while on the highway. I know there's a dozen helmet setups and systems on the market, but I'm thinking of just using a pair of hand-helds and ear pieces.

Anyone try it?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yes, I used a cheap set from target. I think they were "Virgin" you know, Rickie Branson's company, and the only prob I found was wind noise from the "in-line" mic. I'm willing to bet, if the mic was on a boom, with a nice big wind-shroud (foam), they would work beautifully. The only problem with that is that they're simplex. One person talks, the other person can't, unlike a com system, where both people could talk at the same time. A lot of the bluetooth setups out there, like the Scala Rider offer a bluetooth intercom, that could possible sync to a cell phone/mp3 player for tunes.... Also maybe individually. They're really expensive though.

I have an amateur radio license, and my lady just got hers. We're working on a setup that will work for us, but the equipment we're using is only available to those with call signs, so unless there are a lot of Hams on here, I'd rather not post it up.

Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Only problem with those ones Kurt is down in the fine print "push to talk" which sounds liike the rider has to take his hands off the bars to talk to their passenger.
Some form of bluetooth seems to be the only way to go, I've seen one that you can talk between three people and upto 500 metres away, however am sceptical about that claim

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
yea, check it out Crispy, if you're interested: www.ARRL.comhttp://

I'm currently studying for my General License. I have a technician at the moment (the lowest on the totem pole of 3). I wanna talk to people on ultra-low power using morse code.. Old school... :p

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Try using cell phones.... I get unlimited minutes since we are on the same carrier so I am in the process of getting two head units and gluing them into the helmets so all we have to do before a ride is call each other and we have contact

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
scooter2ninja said:
Try using cell phones.... I get unlimited minutes since we are on the same carrier so I am in the process of getting two head units and gluing them into the helmets so all we have to do before a ride is call each other and we have contact
What if you drop a call? Or enter a roaming area?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
If you drop a call you live with it or pull over.... With the two way radio to my knowledge you have to have a button to press every time you want to speak. I would rather have a continuous call than continuously moving my left hand off the bars when I want to talk.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Look identical to the one I posted from Bike Monkey.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.