Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello New Ninja forum,

It is about time to introduce ourselves after several months of lurking anonymously. My son just got his first bike as a early Graduation present he is now the proud new owner of a 2011 Ninja 250R. My son bought a Groupon from Team Arizona last year (MSF half day intro class) and loved it. Every moment of the day since that class when he was not in school or work was spent thinking about, researching and day dreaming about Motorcycles. To say he became a bit obsessed would be a small understatement! I think we have been at least once to every dealer in the Phoenix area, looking, learning and asking questions. We both took the MSF course in February and learned a lot and received our endorsements. I have not ridden actively in 25+ years and have decided to join my son and begin riding once again.

I am still trying to decide what bike I should purchase. I have always been a sport bike kind of guy - Choppers, Cruisers or Touring bikes have never been my thing and I just don't see myself buying one. I know many people like them but I would prefer a Sport Bike. Here is my question ....... can a 45+ guy (young at heart) buy a Ninja 250 for what is essentially my first bike and not look like a complete idiot? I plan on getting another bigger bike(Street Triple or Monster ) in a year or two after I have ridden again for awhile.

Thanks for your input and for all we have learned and are yet to learn on this forum. There really is a wealth of knowledge contained on this site, hopefully at some point we can contribute as well. I have attached pictures of my son's bike on the day we bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the NN forum! I must say you are a cool dad for doing that for your son. Mine never liked bikes as one of his friend passed away in an accident before I was born. Not to scare ya but there's always that risk.
Anywho.,, I imagine you've sat on your sons bike right? How did it feel? Was it comfortable? If so then that's all that should matter. I'm 35 and I have a Honda cruiser. I never really felt comfortable when riding it. My body posture just didn't feel at home on the bike. I only used it to ride to my job as it was basically straight 2 lane highway to get there. My Honda did perform well but was showing age and I started to strip her down to replace gaskets and paint her. I bought my ninja to keep riding this year as I worked on my other bike. I enjoy the ninja so much that I decided that I'm gonna sell my cruiser.
Just to let ya know though no matter what you'll get there always gonna be other bikers that will either like what you got or make fun of you for it. No getting round it but do like I do and hang with the ones that like your choice of bike. And there are plenty on this site who live in AZ who will probably ride with you and your son.
Nice looking ninja by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome to the site jgrfans, and congrats on helping your son out, he will not look back!!
On the topic of being too old to ride a sport bike.......Who the hell is gonna know? You will be in gear and helmet, so how will they know what age you are??!! And besides all that.....Who the hell cares??!!! Never get talked into doing the "norm" and what is expected of a gentleman of your age! Screw the preconceptions and just get out there and ride!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
OH YEAH BABY!!! AZ in the HOUSE!!!

Welcome to the site! Again, that was an awesome thing you did for your son. I am also from AZ, but I live in SC for the moment! Glad you found us and your son is loving the ninja!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome from Goodyear!

I see you bought from Ridenow Chandler... I'm in there every week or so.

As for you riding a 250, if your legs fit, it's a great choice... it just tells folks you're young at heart.

I'd say if your inseam doesn't exceed 30", you'll be comfortable on the 250. Beyond that, your knees will not properly grip the tank. That's important while braking and turning on a sport bike.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats to your son on the new Ninja!

Because you have some experience, you might want to go to a 650 like a Ninja or a SV instead. Some of it depends on your size and comfort level with a large bike, but if you eventually want a Monster or Street Triple spending time on a mild-mannered mid-size bike would make for a better transition IMO.

Jay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome! As I stated above their is a lot of wisdom in the forum. I guess I should listen to the advice given i.e. screw preconceived ideas concerning a sport bike for a older guy like me and just get what I want!

@kurt & Bullet - my son's Ninja feels great and very natural thanks your input is appreciated.

@Zandit = You are correct with gear on nobody will know how old I really am ;) ATGATT have stressed this from day one with my son. ATGATT or no bike. When it gets "too hot in Arizona" he can use his Civic. NO Gear = NO Ninja

@JKV - leaning seriously towards a Ninja 250R for the first year or so then decide which way I am going. I am sure my "dream bike" will change as I gain more experience!

@Navy Ninja - most importantly = THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!

JGRFANS

·
Registered
726 Posts
@Zandit = You are correct with gear on nobody will know how old I really am ;) ATGATT have stressed this from day one with my son. ATGATT or no bike. When it gets "too hot in Arizona" he can use his Civic. NO Gear = NO Ninja

@JKV - leaning seriously towards a Ninja 250R for the first year or so then decide which way I am going. I am sure my "dream bike" will change as I gain more experience!

@Navy Ninja - most importantly = THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!

JGRFANS

One thing I like about riding a sportbike... it's not really cool to ride without full gear. A helmet and jacket just seem to complete the look, so I'm not tempted to ride without it. (And folks assume I'm half my age, till I pull off the helmet. :))

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
One thing I like about riding a sportbike... it's not really cool to ride without full gear. A helmet and jacket just seem to complete the look, so I'm not tempted to ride without it. (And folks assume I'm half my age, till I pull off the helmet. :))
But the walking cane strapped to the back gives them some indication!!:hide:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit late on the welcome wagon, but welcome! Also, tops to you for being a badass dad and having a good head on your shoulders. Taking it slow and easy at first. You can always go faster, you can't always slow down quick enough... :) Rubber side down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the same situation as you! I bought a bike 6 months ago (a 250) ( check out the pics ) after I had an accident 15 years ago I swore I would never ride again! Buy the fever hit me more and more ! I don't regret the 250 it's been great. I am 6 ft 1. And the bike fits great! Of course now that I am in my comfort zone it's slow but I am not 25 anymore either! Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.