Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep this short and sweet.
I was attempting a U-turn, going left, and I went wide, panicked a little, and went into side of the road.

This sucks because I have practiced slow uturns but I guess not enough. Here's pics of the damage. Just wanted to share my experience so those reading might benefit in some way.

:NefRider:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That sucks ! U turns always make me nervous. I learned that in a uturn if u use the brake , use the back one a little, easy on the gas, u can use the clutch to adjust speed as well. Sorry for your turn of luck. No pun intended.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indyjoe7 said:
That sucks ! U turns always make me nervous. I learned that in a uturn if u use the brake , use the back one a little, easy on the gas, u can use the clutch to adjust speed as well. Sorry for your turn of luck. No pun intended.
Thanks IndyJoe, it bugs me ... All I think is I knew what to do, I just did it wrong, SR1 did it to me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That sucks, but it sounds like you didn't get hurt, so it's just a learning experience I guess.

Think about what you did or didn't do, and go to an empty lot and practice the maneuver until you feel confident you can do it successfully at any time if needed.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jkv45 said:
That sucks, but it sounds like you didn't get hurt, so it's just a learning experience I guess.

Think about what you did or didn't do, and go to an empty lot and practice the maneuver until you feel confident you can do it successfully at any time if needed.
I will. More you turns for me. And slow maneuvering.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
indyjoe7 said:
Get some pilons or cones at the dollar store, that's what I did before I went for my test. It gives u a turning point, not just turning and not knowing how wide or narrow you've gone.
Good idea. I have soccer cones ... Ill use them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
had a stupid incident myself... can't say whether the damage is worse or better.. just a matter of perspective i suppose. (left front turn signal got shoved into the bike when i dropped it going into an inclined driveway "like a boss" only a week after i got the damn bike).

stupid crap like that hurts your pride.. i know it hurts that your bike is scratched up, but it's good for you. It reminds you that your skills are not infallible and stuff happens.

i'd also like to point out that counter sitting on a sport bike feels kind of ridiculous :/.. u-turns are hard!

http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/all-those-nicks-and-scratches-8505.html

should add your story to that thread. i was kind of hoping it would end up being an archive of dooseys the forum users have had

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
L1felock said:
had a stupid incident myself... can't say whether the damage is worse or better.. just a matter of perspective i suppose. (left front turn signal got shoved into the bike when i dropped it going into an inclined driveway "like a boss" only a week after i got the damn bike).

stupid crap like that hurts your pride.. i know it hurts that your bike is scratched up, but it's good for you. It reminds you that your skills are not infallible and stuff happens.

i'd also like to point out that counter sitting on a sport bike feels kind of ridiculous :/.. u-turns are hard!

should add your story to that thread. i was kind of hoping it would end up being an archive of dooseys the forum users have had
Thanks so much for sharing. That pride of ours got more hurt than the motos. Haha, but you are right when you said these dooseys remind is that our skills aren't infallible. Got a mean scratch on my calf due to that incident - don't ask me how. I just do.

Got on the moto today, and did a few practice u turns. I noticed I had a different body posture each time. At time a gripped the tank with legs, other time I did not. Sometimes I looked before turning, other times I turned then looked. At least I am good enough to re-practice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
did some figure 8's myself a couple of hours ago until the cooling fan had been running for a few minutes. your story inspired me to do some long put off slow-speed exercises that are supposed to just make you more comfortable with the bike in general. Need to do some braking drills some time in the next week as well

·
Registered
141 Posts
If we are sharing stories that hurt our pride here goes ... After about two weeks if riding went to a bike show and on the way home stopped at a burger van at the side of the road with about 15 other bikes already there. Being in a rush to go toilet kicked the stand down and jumped off. As I was too busy rushing didn't realise the stand was on top a stone as I was a bout 2 steps away the bike decided it wanted to lay down :( Felt so inbarresed the bike was fine just ego that was damaged. But a couple of guys helped me lift her up and told me I wasn't the first guy to do it and won't be the last hahaha

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
L1felock said:

Counter steering only works above 15km/hr, when doing a uturn , steer as u would a car. Counter steering is the only way to steer a bike

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Counter steering only works above 15km/hr, when doing a uturn , steer as u would a car. Counter steering is the only way to steer a bike
What......?
U can counter steer threw a U turn dude....:thumb:
Ya just need to learn to do it with a oil covered tire....
Going over 20 MPH....
N....drift a bit.....

What rrr...uuuu....thinking....:facepalm:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Let the show begin......

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't we love counter steering ... and practicing braking and u turns. It's definitely worth the time and effort though ... I am still healing. I still cannot believe I even got this injury, take a look ... I am thinking I might have scrapped the leg on the muffler on the way down ... It's a mystery to me.

You guys think I will make it? :whistling:

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    236.7 KB Views: 115

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Don't we love counter steering ... and practicing braking and u turns. It's definitely worth the time and effort though ... I am still healing. I still cannot believe I even got this injury, take a look ... I am thinking I might have scrapped the leg on the muffler on the way down ... It's a mystery to me.

You guys think I will make it? :whistling:
Looks bad, I dunno , we might have to take u out back for a lead injection and a dirt nap. Lol ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.