Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beaten to death...With that said, I wasnt able to get a simple direct answer without the arguement of why mess up the bike..

So this is the deal, I recently bought a house and was blessed by the previous owner with a free Kawasaki Ninja 250R in mint condition! Im not really a Bike guy but i do have a license and have owned a Ducati 748, cbr600rr. This little bike is pretty quick, agile, nice looking, close to nothing to insure, 75mpg, and has a sports feel.

The bike currently has a 130mm tire in the rear (stock). I have a brand new Dunlop Q2 160/60/17 tire that is just sitting in the garage (again, left for me by the previous owner). The 130 tire makes the bike look horrible and almost unwanted. I dont mind riding the bike but i have to do something with the rear tire. Naturally, the free $175 dollar tire sitting in my garage is a nice surprise!

My question or questions are...

Will this fit without modification?
What effect will the larger tire have other then aesthetics?
Will the stock rim accommodate such a large tire?
If I do have to modify the swing-arm, How drastic will the mod be? shaving/extending?
If i want to outright swap the swing arm with its bigger counterparts, What Swap takes the least modification to put a larger tire and rim? (Possibly a 180 or 190)

Just a disclaimer, I can buy a 600cc but dont want to do that when i have a free bike now.
So the presumption that i should get a bigger bike is out the window. Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Simple direct answers:

NO

The flickability will decrease slightly

NO

If I do have to modify the swing-arm, How drastic will the mod be? shaving/extending?
Significant - widening, new spacers, and slightly lengthening it.

If i want to outright swap the swing arm with its bigger counterparts, What Swap takes the least modification to put a larger tire and rim? (Possibly a 180 or 190)
Other than Eric's conversion kit for 160 tires, you're on your own here.
There are no significant performance increases to be found on the street from running a bigger tire in the rear. So essentially, it's just a cosmetic mod, and a pricey one to do and maintain at that (bigger tires are much more expensive than 250-sized rubber). If you don't want people knowing you ride a 250, then take the cash you're gonna spend on modifying it, and throw it in with the cash from selling the bike, and buy something bigger.... I know you said that wasn't an option, but you're looking for different answers to a topic which has been beaten to death - as you said yourself... Not sure what you're after here... It's just not worth it...

But if you still want to do it, look up a guy named "Eric" on the board here, and he can get you a kit to convert your 250 to a 160 rear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
to answer your question (post #1)

-Yes, they do fit, but the shape of rear tyre are no different than donut & you won't be able to remove those 1" chicken strip (what a waste)

- refer to answer on the first question
- Yes, 160/60/17 do fit on stock rim, but the shape are much rounded as stock rim width are not designed for that size
- no modification require
- I don't have answer for this one

as for additional, there's aftermarket wheel for ninja which is fit for the 160/60/17 tire size and no modification require. another option, there's forumer in here who modify ninja650 rear wheel to fit on ninja 250r with modification. I myself using aftermarket wheel for ninja 250r with 4.5" width size which is fit up to 160/60/17 tire size without any modification, as in the picture below

compiration between 160 on aftermarket wheel vs 130 on stock wheel

I will be able to remove those little chicket strip left on my rear tire once i put some extender on my rear set, or just get aftermarket rear set

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.