Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my sprockets some time last year for a bigger front to lower R's and get better gas mileage.

Well this year with a jet kit I'm only getting about 35-50 mpg So I was thinking about going back to a 15 tooth for a bit more acceleration and a higher top speed.

In 5th I can go around 105 but 6th it doggs down and just stays put....

Any Input?

Rear is stock, removing jet kit isn't an option I love the increase in throttle response and power.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
only 35 MPG? Jet kit should not affect gas mileage that much.

I beat the living crap out of the throttle on my stock 250 and I get 60 MPG average. If I would chill out a little more I can get 70 - 75MPG but its not as fun.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know Im not sure why im getting such bad gas milage... I have tapered needles 'came in the kit' last year I could get upwards of 60mpg with the kit idk what's up with it, could it be fouled plugs from when I was running rich?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98mains 'stock jets' gutted exhaust and tapered needles from dyno jet....

@Felix; could it be from fouled plugs? The one plug i pulled was very fouled and that led me to believe I was rich, so i switched to 98's and it ran better, should I have switched out the used fouled plugs or cleaned them?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no after the switch back to 98's it runs stronger and better accel. maybe ill pull the plugs and gap\clean them and repot... gotta pull the tank ;(

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
try putting the front to standard and the rear down one, its smaller incriments of adjustment on the rear

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it is.

I don't have 45$ for a rear at the moment and I'm content with a 16 until I try the track next season then I'll be moving back to a 15 so I regain some accell and keep a moderate top end.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Felix said:
Could be, did it feel down on power? You most definitely should have pulled the plugs, cleaned and re gapped at the least... or new plugs.

Felix
hey flix

Pulled the plugs, dirty as all hell. Regapped them to .028 as per spec's and yeah they were out to .039 so hopefully this helps.

Cleaned them with acetone,wire brush, sand paper.

Tutorial on pulling the plugs and carbies will be up later after someone answers my question of how does one modify video files 'I need a program other than sony studio i hate it'

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
decided on not posting video, I sounded like crap.

IDK how you people do it and have it sound scripted =( im not a good talker or communicator

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
lol, common audi, don't be so self-conscious.... it comes with practice, and besides, how would we know how much you've grown if we only see the polished product?

FYI, when I do a video, I usually do 3-6 takes of any particular step/ scene, and I do A LOT of editing to get all the crap out.... for my vlogs, which are pretty crappy anyway, I cut out prolly 75 percent? LOL, which is why I'm not doing vlogs anymore.... well that and I don't like doing vlogs with the go-pro. If I'm able to get a different camera I'd be all over it...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a regular digi cam that has a video feature, the mic sucks but ohwell.

I like coins idea, capture it, strip the audio then replace with good sounding script.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I changed my sprockets some time last year for a bigger front to lower R's and get better gas mileage.

Well this year with a jet kit I'm only getting about 35-50 mpg So I was thinking about going back to a 15 tooth for a bit more acceleration and a higher top speed.

QUOTE]

So can you elaborate more on "6th it doggs down".......and is this dogg down due to the plugs and dirty carbs? I'm thinking bout doing the 15/42 sprockets so i'd like to kknow whats the deal before i do it.

Thanks

Chamoru Soulja

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

QUOTE]

So can you elaborate more on "6th it doggs down".......and is this dogg down due to the plugs and dirty carbs? I'm thinking bout doing the 15/42 sprockets so i'd like to kknow whats the deal before i do it.

Thanks

Chamoru Soulja

Just the engine can't produce enough torque in the RPM range that 6th gear takes the engine to. The motor can't overcome the drag, so a 15tooth would be better suited for more top speed IMO. Then again, more power wouldn't hurt either, sorry I haven't been on in a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts