Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my bike about a week and a half a go, took it for a ride shortly after and it was running like crap. It eventually died and finally figured out my 10A ignition fuse keeps blowing.

Checked the battery it's good.

Replaced the fuse multiple times, continues to blow.

Sometimes I'll put a new fuse in, turn key to "on" and bike lights up like it's ready to roll, couple seconds later the fuse blows.

Other times put new fuse in, turn key and fuse blows instantly.

I've traced all the wires from the ignition switch and can't see anything drastic that would continue to have this hit and miss problem.

I've set the bike out in the sun with every electrical connection I can get my hands on unplugged with hopes of evaporating water that possibly got to my wires.

I'm at a loss, any ideas?

Also haven't done any electrical mods whatsoever.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also note after I washed the bike and it started running like crap, my tachometer was ALL over the place before the bike died.

Stopped at a stop sign and tachometer would sit on 0rpm.

It was just very bouncy during the whole ride until the bike died.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
.... my 10A ignition fuse keeps blowing.

Checked the battery it's good.

Replaced the fuse multiple times, continues to blow.

Sometimes I'll put a new fuse in, turn key to "on" and bike lights up like it's ready to roll, couple seconds later the fuse blows.

Other times put new fuse in, turn key and fuse blows instantly.

How did you check the battery? How old is the battery?

The most common cause for a blown fuse is a short. The wiring harness is usually the place to start looking. Most times it is not plainly obvious but where it touches the frame is most likely where the short is. First start looking where the harness goes thorough wire hooks on the frame especially around the handlebars. Also use your nose. Burnt insulation has a distinct smell. Next check your shut off switch to ensure the contacts are not corroded.

Making sure the battery chassis ground and terminals are properly cleaned and tightened is important. These can cause the tach or lights to flicker. If you were able to ride the bike only to have it die on you, it may be the regulator/rectifier that has gone bad.

1,465 Posts
Agreed with ghost. Also u can blast it with air all around lines etc. just make sure to drain the water drain on the tank before you start or use air that has a in line water seperator. Follow it up with electrical cleaner. This may help get get stubborn water out of brackets etc. then follow what ghost said

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.