Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I just bought a 09 ninja 250 , the problem was when you pressed the starter button nothing would happen, but you could jump the starter relay or push start it and it would fire right up.. I checked all fuses and safety switches and everything was working

so I swapped relays from my 08 ninja 250 to my 09
I finally figured out that one of the small relays under the seat went bad and when I swapped them the bike turned over!!

so I was about to go ride it.... and then the same thing happened!! I pushed the start button and nothing!!!:facepalm:

so I know know that something is killing the relay...but what

my question is what are the 2 small relays under the seat what are they how they work and what could kill them?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....my question is what are the 2 small relays under the seat what are they how they work and what could kill them?
The two white connectors uner the seat on top of the battery are diodes. They control the flow of electricity.

You may have a headlight relay that's bad. It's the other (black relay) on the back of the battery. It's suppose to keep the headlight from turning on when the starter button is pushed. If the light does not go out it won't start. You can disconnect the headlights and see if it will start.

·
1,458 Posts
The two white connectors uner the seat on top of the battery are diodes. They control the flow of electricity. You may have a headlight relay that's bad. It's the other (black relay) on the back of the battery. It's suppose to keep the headlight from turning on when the starter button is pushed. If the light does not go out it won't start. You can disconnect the headlights and see if it will start.
agreed with the ghost

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no that cant be it because the headlights were already off, and also my 08 ninja was starting but after i swaped the diodes, now it doesn't want to start with its old diodes...

so my guess is that , when i took my known good diode and swaped them for the bad one the bike killed the known good one, so know im sheet out of luck and need too get new ones haha

but what would cause the bike to mess up a diode??

i will try and swap out the relay but i dont think thats it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ot was not the starter relay clicking it was one of the black ones on top , battery was good charged it all night and used a known good battery, and if the 30 fuse was out wouldn't all power be out on bike?

a wiring diagram would probably help me out alot , but i cant download one on my computer, do you know were a picture of one is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so diode B , is the one that always fails when i press the start button, the b/y to the r wires are the only ones that go bad

i know that when you test a diode one way you should have flow and the other way is OL

now , i have no idea why , when i press the start button it kills that diode!!!!

i tested charging system to see how that was and it charges normal i looked at the switch wires and they look ok but have holes where some one has tryd to prob them.... also swapped cdi and same thing , then i swapped the starter relay and same thing ... I'm running out of those dam diodes and don't want to bypass it!!! I'm very very lost here..

any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.