Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was riding it for a good while and when i disengaged the clutch it just died :eek: :mad:.......after about a min or two it would start right up ;D with no problem figure a over heating issue but not 100% ??? any input?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Could be over heating... If it happens consistently. Pay attention to what RPM's and such, for how long, and what kind of weather...

I was thinking loose clutch kill switch, but that wouldn't be affected by it sitting there...

Pull your spark plugs, take pics, and post them up, unless you feel confident reading them yourself, then have at it...

We need more info... :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it apart today I think I am an idoit but found what I thought was a spark plug but was this long cap is the plugs in the engine.....and where can I get a new filter pulled the old one out and smelled like gas.... How much oil should be in the engine and how to check it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sry forgot to add it the air filter cleaned the boxed and didn't see anything leaking hopefully it from when the guy laid it down and some of the gas spilled

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Sounds like water in the gas. I've had that happen twice...crappy phoenix gas. The engine oil should be between the two lines in the sight glass while the bike is level...this wouldn't be affecting your issue though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i should get some additive for the gas to evaporate the water is there is any. i dont see any lines. the oil looks dirty so i want to change it and where could i get a new air filter from besides the dealer

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
ok i am buzzing at the moment.. but if you go to the search section type in .. "air filter" it will give you info on the types and how about the filter thingy.. lol .. i said thingy

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
draco, the stock airfilter from the dealer is $7... But it's totally not necessary to buy a new one.... I have over 18,000 miles on my stock air filter, and still going strong...

What you can do, is wash it... Seriously. Go to your dealer, and get some foam air filter cleaning solution, and oil. Then wash the filter as per prescribed in the directions on the bottle, and re-oil it with the foam air filter oil... Good as new! You'll be surprised how much gunk comes out of there!

Let's see here, along with the same air filter, I've had the air filter cleaning kit since before I bought the bike, and it will definitely outlast the bike's airfilter. So for $14 bucks, you're good to go on the life of the bike... :) And even if you got a new airfilter, you'd still have to oil it, so might as well get the right stuff. Mine is Kawi brand, it came in a kit...

And change you're oil. I don't know about gas additive to evaporate water out of fuel, but you could just drain the tank and fill it up with new, high grade gas and see if it works.

Concerning the spark plugs, yes, two rubber stoppers on the spark plugs, that go WAY down deep into the heads.... Pull those out, and then stick in a spark socket on an extension to get your plugs out... makes sense?

Did I miss anything?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok kind of figure it isnt a over heating problem....... cause this morning (4:15 a.m) i was ridng the bike to work which is only like 5 min away on my bike or in my truck and i cut throught this big parking lot and hit the gas and asoon as i pulled in the clucth and started down shifting it just died, and i couldnt start it for like a min again...and yes i did let it warm up too. and it just randomly does this maybe i should buy a fule cleaner/carb cleaner of some sort?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
indeed, sounds electrical... It would be carbs/fuel, etc if it slowly petered out, but not with the immediate cut out you're describing... I'd check your clutch switch...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and how would one check this clutch switch your are speaking of.....i know where it is i think..... right by the clutch lever right?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
yes sir, and I think the easiest way to check it would be to trace the wires back and disconnect it..

I haven't tried it, nor have I looked at the wiring diagram, but there are only two options here...

1.) You unplug it and the bike won't start, then you know it's closed all the time, except when you pull in the clutch. If this is the case, short the two wires on the bike's side, not the switch's side, and you should effectively have option 2.

2.) You unplug it and the bike starts. It even starts when it's in gear and the clutch isn't pulled in. This is the option you want. Ride it like this, and make sure to have the bike in neutral, or pull the clutch in every time you start it. If it doesn't die, as it's been doing you know it's the clutch switch. If it does die like it has been, then you know it's not the clutch switch, you can put the switch back and start tracing other issues...

Give that a shot and let us know. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright i did what you said to do.....

put it in 1st gear and held the clutch and it started.

then
unpluged the senor and put it into first gear and it wouldn't start....in neutral is started

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
cool, that means it's an open circuit most of the time, only closed when you pull the clutch lever....

now short the wires connected to the bike, not the sensor, and see if it'll start in 1st with the clutch in. If you're adventurous, you should be able to start it in 1st with the clutch out as well, and the bike will kinda jump forward a little.... That's OK for a short while, but I wouldn't do it for more than a second at most.

If this is the case, ride it like this, with the short in there for a while, and see if it dies as it did before..

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Get a small piece of wire - I usually go to a multi-strand wire (14-18 guage), rip out one of the strands, and tie the two contacts together. I've also been known to use gum wrappers, pieces of aluminum, and on occasion very salty water to make a connection (or short in this case)...

Can you tell McGuyver is one of my heros?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts