Changes to Raven since end of the year - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #11 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

NEw York State Law on Handle Bars and Lights:
NYS says you can't have bars above your shoulders... but they don't say anything about how Low you can go! lol NYS LAW: section 381, sub section 5.

I was worried about LED lights as turn signals, break lights & head light(s). The NYS law doesn't care what kind of light it is. So long as it follows the rules of visibility and size (but they don't mention the size, just that they have to be approved by the commissioner). NYS LAW: SECTION 381, SUBSECTIONS 1,2,3 & 4
First off, no color other than white and yellow (amber turn signals) can be visible from the front and rear of the bike (so multi color led or neon UNDER LIGHTING and SIDE LIGHTS ARE FINE AS LONG AS THEY DON'T FACE FORWARD OR BACKWARDS). This rule only has one exception.. IF YOUR A COP OR A FIRE FIGHTER!! DUH..
No type of flashing lights or strobe lights are allowed except for turn signals while the bike is in MOTION. all you want while it's parked.
The Headlamp/light has to be on and "readily adjustable" at all times and visible from at least 200 feet in front of the bike.
A rear break light is required when applying the breaks and visible at least 200 feet. (no mention of location on the bike and I say this because I've seen side mounted license plates with the break light right above the plate and I wasn't sure if this was legal or not)
At least one red rear reflector is required but could be considered part of a rear RUNNING LIGHT. again visible at least 200 feet away.
Turn signals (Front and rear) are required on all bikes manufactured after 1984 but sky is the limit as to kind and size. again, visible at least 200 feet away

section 381 subsection 1
License plate MUST BE LIT adequately and visible from at least 50 feet! so there has to be at least one light on the plate and it's usually included in motorcycle license plate frames.. My license plate frame does but I didn't know this rule at all!

My 1982 GL1100 restoration project (DEAD) and sad... 'EL JEFE'
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34697

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Ninja Master

Send a message via Yahoo to earlthepearl
Here the only thing i can add is a yellow marker light to the side.....
Not worth the bother

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

..Just wanna take a bikeride.....
post #13 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

I get what your saying but as can be seen in the above you wrote The law is written in a very loose general form on some things

twisted throttles brings me smiles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Ninja Master

I actually contacted the Maine DOT and asked what would be legal.
They told me only extra headlight, or tail light.
Or a yellow side marker.
You can change out blinkers, tail lights, and headlights, but they have to be DOT certified.
Any type colored lights inside the fairing is a big No.
If u do have them they can only be used in a Parking area off any state roads. Not allowed on any state of Maine highways.
Also no inspection stations will inspect the bike if they are on at the time of the inspection.
Guess that's why u never see any bikes here with them....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #15 of 16 Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM

Yes our DOT says that too as well as the local cops but they are both actually wrong according to the law. We can have up to 4 running lights forward at any given time. Actually doesn't anything about flashing headlights but does says no forward facing colored lights in the shades of blue and or red and specifically no red or blue flashing lights. The red can not have the aforementioned above with the exception of the tail light and being limited to one rear facing light with the accompanying lisc plate light. Doesn't specifically say a number of lights or anything about lights behind the fairings but they will sure pull ha over and tell ya its against the law

twisted throttles brings me smiles

post #16 of 16 Old 01-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Ninja Master

I'll just stick stock......
I dont need the headache of them stopping me at all.....
Haft the time i make my own registrations on the computer 4 my vehicals anyway....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in