Ninja 400r Oil change questions - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Ninja Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ninja 400r Oil change questions

Hey this might be a noob question but,

recently bought a used kawasaki ninja 400r with no manual and cant find one online for some reason. I heard its similar to the 650r?

The oil change light turned on at a 4km, im thinking probably old dirty oil? Or probably the oils been sitting idle for a long time (2011 bike with less than 4km when I bought it and when I stand the bike upright, the oil level seems right against the level glass). Just making sure what oil to use and about how much I should use for an oil change? Also where I could get a oil filter from (from a kawasaki dealership?) and if its possible just to take the filter, wash it, and then put it back?

The Oil i found at Canadian Tire is the Motormaster Formula 1 - motorcycle oil sae 10w-40 4 stroke (946ml)

And the dealership should have the right filter im guessing?

Thx!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome to the site Ghost, great to have you on board.

Yes, physically, the 400 & 650 are identical, however the 400 is sleeved in the cylinders bringing down the capacity from 650cc's to 400cc's. If you are looking for accessories, search for the 650R. They will all fit.

I'm assuming when you say 4km, you actually mean 4000kms on the clock? If it hasn't been serviced, then yes it is due, and probably is the cause of the oil light.

You do not have to use a genuine oil filter, K&N and many other brands also sell equivalent filters. I use the K&N KN-303. This is a one time use item, and should be disposed of each time you change the oil. You cannot wash out an oil filter and smack anyone who suggests it around the back of the head!!

With the bike upright, the oil should be around the half way mark on the sightglass. It doesn't have to be perfectly in the middle, but don't overfill it, that can be just as bad as not having enough oil in the bike. I'm not sure if it's available to you, but I use a semi synthetic oil from Penrite called HPR GAS 10 10W-50.

I hope that covers all your questions, but if there is anything else, please ask it here. I'm not on this site very often these days, but I'll check in soon.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS Island Metallic Blue. Yoshi Exhaust, Sport Bars 3.0, CF Rimtape, Bar ends & Spools, Givi & Ventura Luggage, New Ninja Decal, Double Adjustable Levers, Frame Sliders, PC5 Power Commander, Pirelli Angel Tyres, and more to come!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Ninja Novice

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thx so much for the help! Glad to be here, new to riding so trying to learn.

I also heard about the K&N filters, if I can find it in my area ill probably go for that. If not it seems like I might have to go to a dealership. LOL, cleaning the filter was my idea haha, i guess we cant do that for a quick clean?

For the oil, its halfway on the glass which seems like where it should. Does light turn on periodically and/or when its low? I thought it was just because the oil probably turned bad or something because the previous owner hardly rode it for 4 years. I read a couple random manuals and most of them say the viscosity i should go for is 10w-40.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
The filters should only cost around the $15-25 mark, probably less where you are, so it's a minimal outlay.
To be honest, I've never had the oil light turn on so it may be advisable to have it checked out by a dealer, or reputable mechanic.
Good luck with it anyway, and stay safe!

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS Island Metallic Blue. Yoshi Exhaust, Sport Bars 3.0, CF Rimtape, Bar ends & Spools, Givi & Ventura Luggage, New Ninja Decal, Double Adjustable Levers, Frame Sliders, PC5 Power Commander, Pirelli Angel Tyres, and more to come!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Ninja Novice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental_Ghost View Post
Thx so much for the help! Glad to be here, new to riding so trying to learn.

I also heard about the K&N filters, if I can find it in my area ill probably go for that. If not it seems like I might have to go to a dealership. LOL, cleaning the filter was my idea haha, i guess we cant do that for a quick clean?

For the oil, its halfway on the glass which seems like where it should. Does light turn on periodically and/or when its low? I thought it was just because the oil probably turned bad or something because the previous owner hardly rode it for 4 years. I read a couple random manuals and most of them say the viscosity i should go for is 10w-40.
If it has oil and the oil pump is working then it's most likely a lose wire on the pressure sensor or bad sensor. If the oil pump is going bad then you've got a serious problem

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in