Oxford Heaterz review - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Oxford Heaterz review

I've been riding a fair bit with my new grips and thought I should do a review of them for those who are interested or researching this option.

Cost and availability: Retails in Canada for $98. I got mine on sale and I'm sure this can be done anywhere if you look around. They are available online and from many stores across North America.

Ease of installation: the grips install very easily, the hardest part is getting the bar ends and old grips off. My set required a little bit of twisting to get on but snug is good. Just make sure when you put the glue on that you get it on there super quick, you can't pry them off and re-do it without damaging the heating elements. It helps to fit them first and I put a white line on the rubber and plastic housing on my bars so that I could line it up easily. Alignment is important as there is a rubber bit that sticks out to protect the wires and you don't want that interfering with the clutch or brake. Also, I should note that the bracket that comes with it to mount the control panel does not fit on the 250 bars. Modification of the mount and some creativity is required to attach this piece. Essentially you plug two wires in together and clip the connections to the battery. That's it!

Look and feel: The grips look great on the bike. They almost look like stock grips until you inspect closely. If fitted correctly they do not interfere with normal riding (ie, not binding the throttle, getting in the way of braking, pulling on cables). The bars still turn completely from side to side with out pulling or putting pressure on the wires, and the wires don't get caught or tangled on anything. I have the original heaterz which are made of a softer rubber material, so they are quite comfortable on the hands. There is a "sport" style which is exactly the same except that the grip material is slightly harder and has a different pattern.

Performance: These things are amazing! Set on 100%, these grips heat up so hot that it's uncomfortable... in fact I don't usually ride with them on any higher than 40% (there are 4 heat levels). I have used them at 75% but after a few minutes I had to turn them down. I currently use regular leather riding gloves, or my cold weather gloves that have no insulation on the palm. This allows for the grips to heat your hands better, but honestly they would keep your hands plenty warm if you had gloves that were insulated on the palms. I have not had any issues with my battery with these installed, but you do have to remember to turn them off! The controls are simple and easy to operate while riding, and everything feels super sturdy and very well made.

Overall opinion: I think this is a exceptional product. They look good, are easy to install and operate, do what they are supposed to and are not terribly expensive. It is a quality product and the kit comes with everything you will need (except for 250 riders, you need to modify the control mount). I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting warm hands! It has made my early spring riding experience a pleasure, and made me safer because I can feel the controls and am not consumed by how much my hands hurt!

IMG_0499.jpg

"Life is too short to ride bitch"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Awesome FHG. I really want a set of these to stretch out the season as long as possible. For now I go VERY low-tech and just put my gloved hands right on the engine while I'm stopped at red lights!

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Ninja Master

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

nice review! How many miles at a time have you ridden with these? I've always been hesitant to buy these because I'm not sure if I could stand them in the summer, when it's hot enough not to use them. Are they squishy enough to make, say, 600 miles in one day comfortable, or do you think they're too hard for that?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat. ///// If you're ever in doubt to my tone, just look at my avatar. ////// http://thedandooligan.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Great review, any chance you can share a pic of how you creatively attached the control mount?

post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Rider

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Boar: I used to do that all the time!

Spooph: I don't have a lot of experience with grip squishiness... My longest trip at one time with them was just short of 200km, so I don't really know about a super long ride. They are softer than the stock grips in my opinion, but I really couldn't tell you much about that other than I find them comfortable. You can test em out when you're up here I guess?

Fry: I will add a pic to the post asap.

"Life is too short to ride bitch"
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Ninja Master

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

saweet! Sounds good!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat. ///// If you're ever in doubt to my tone, just look at my avatar. ////// http://thedandooligan.com/
post #7 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Ninja Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to earlthepearl
IndyJoe......
U don't need heated grips in the tropics.....LOL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

..Just wanna take a bikeride.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in