Larger front sprocket and larger rear sprocket??? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #11 of 52 Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Ninja Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've geared my SV up 1 tooth on the countershaft to drop cruise RPMs on the hwy. Worked well for the SV, as it has plenty of torque to pull taller gearing no problem. Generally you can expect about a 500 RPM drop from 1 tooth additional on the countershaft. Same thing can be accomplished by reducing the number of teeth on the rear sprocket (usually about 3T on the rear), but generally it's less expensive to do the countershaft and the result is the same (as long as the ratio is the same of course).

You have to balance your gearing for your factors. Do you do a lot of hwy riding and want a lower cruise RPM - does the engine have enough power on the hwy if you do? Are you a large person and need more torque? What are your engine's characteristics - will you be dropping the RPMs into a flat spot in the power curve if you alter the gearing? There's no one right answer for everyone. You need to consider all the factors that you personally are working with.

As far as sprockets go, I was impressed with the Sunstar rear sprocket my son just bought for his Ninja. It's black, made in Japan, and was reasonably priced.

Jay V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Ninja Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to earlthepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I've geared my SV up 1 tooth on the countershaft to drop cruise RPMs on the hwy. Worked well for the SV, as it has plenty of torque to pull taller gearing no problem. Generally you can expect about a 500 RPM drop from 1 tooth additional on the countershaft. Same thing can be accomplished by reducing the number of teeth on the rear sprocket (usually about 3T on the rear), but generally it's less expensive to do the countershaft and the result is the same (as long as the ratio is the same of course).

You have to balance your gearing for your factors. Do you do a lot of hwy riding and want a lower cruise RPM - does the engine have enough power on the hwy if you do? Are you a large person and need more torque? What are your engine's characteristics - will you be dropping the RPMs into a flat spot in the power curve if you alter the gearing? There's no one right answer for everyone. You need to consider all the factors that you personally are working with.

As far as sprockets go, I was impressed with the Sunstar rear sprocket my son just bought for his Ninja. It's black, made in Japan, and was reasonably priced.

Jay V
The one tooth more on the front sprocket of my 650 should be perfect 4 my riding.....Lot of 55-65 highway.
Then down the road i'll have plenty of time to decide if more changes need to be made with these lifetime sprockets i'll be buying.
NNnnn that 16,000 pound smartchain should also last a long long time with cleaning n lubing....

Dropping 500 rpms on highways should help quite a bit on a 650....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

..Just wanna take a bikeride.....
post #13 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Ninja Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjA400 View Post
mrvmichaelv,
whats sprockets are on your bike now?
Not sure. Stock at the moment. Don't want to mess with things and have unintended problems or consequences. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Ninja Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvmichaelv View Post
Not sure. Stock at the moment. Don't want to mess with things and have unintended problems or consequences. Thanks
What u got 4 a bike?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #15 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Elite Rider

one problem you might face when going up teeth front and back sprocket is your countershaft to rear axle distance might become shorter than adjustments will allow meaning you will need longer chain.also if going down teeth on front and back sprocket means shorter chain.thats why going up front sprocket and down back sprocket is prefered and also when going down front sprocket to go up on back sprocket.gearingcommander.com helps when choosing best combinations.

post #16 of 52 Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Ninja Master

True on chain length....
I know from the Titanium sprocket place they said they have sold a ton of one tooth bigger front sprockets with stock size rears for the Ninja 650, and the stock length chain will fit ok. Going diff combinations ?

post #17 of 52 Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Ninja Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlthepearl View Post
What u got 4 a bike?
I have an 2012 Ninja 1000. Great info on the current messages. Lots to consider. Thanks

post #18 of 52 Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Ninja Novice

Not sure I know enough yet to make make this change. Thanks for letting me know what I need to think about though.

post #19 of 52 Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Elite Rider

mrvmichaelv,
at 70mph your at 4848rpm in 6th gear thats good and you have 17/39 sprockets so i wouldnt change a thing.

post #20 of 52 Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Elite Rider

but if you want lower rpm go 1 tooth more on front sprocket, its cheaper than back sprocket and your rpm will drop to 4578rpm at 70mph in 6th.its a 5.55% drop in rpm so no need to recalibrate speedo any more than that and you will also need a speedo healer.

Tags
ninja 250, ninja ex250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in