Which is the best oil to my ninja - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Ninja Novice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which is the best oil to my ninja

I'm chenge the oil to my bike last week but i can't find no other oil, just valvoline..

what brand of oil did you recoment??

i can use a car oil to my bike??

what a bout the synthetic oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Ninja Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

post #3 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you can not find motorcycle oil, there are several other brands that are formulated so close to motorcycle oil that they meet the certification requirement.

1. Castrol RX Super 15w40
2. Chevron Delo 400 15w40
3. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
4. Pennzoil Long-Life 15w40
5. Quaker State 4X4 Synthetic Blend 15w40
6. Shell Rotella-T 15w40 (favorite among other motorcyclist who change oil frequently)
7. SuperTech 2000 (WalMart) 15w40
8. Valvoline All Fleet 15w40
9. Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15w40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Respected Rider

My owner's manual recommends SAE 10W-40 and states that this viscosity is rated between 14 and 104 degrees F. I changed my oil last weekend and used Valvoline SAE 10W-40 motor oil (it was not labeled as being specific to motorcycles). I have only had 3 rides since the change...maybe 60 total miles...but I have not had a problem at all.

So now I'm curious Blue...why is everything you have listed a 15W instead of 10W? Is that generally what is recommended by the community, for best overall protection? I just find it odd that I may not be providing the best protection by following my owner's manual.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Ninja Master

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

um, this is a can of worms. Opinions are rampant and all over the place. The best universal answer I've come up with is oil is better than not oil. Personally I use 10-40 Kawi dyno juice and change it every 2K miles. Lots of people believe in synthetic. I generally tend to go cheaper oil because I change it so often. I might not need to change it as often with synthetic, but I like to see what's going on in my engine - and oil is a good way to do that.

However, what we do agree on is that motorcycle oil is different from automotive oil, and that's what Ghost posted up, automotive oils that can be run in a moto - remember, our bikes have a wet clutch, so clutch particles are also in the oil, not just AL and steel shavings from the engine. Some additives need to be withheld from moto oil, which are put into auto oil....

Also, the numbers on oil is the temperature range: 5w-30 (5C-30C).... Run the oil for the temps you'll be riding in.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat. ///// If you're ever in doubt to my tone, just look at my avatar. ////// http://thedandooligan.com/
post #6 of 18 Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimer08 View Post
My owner's manual recommends SAE 10W-40 and states that this viscosity is rated between 14 and 104 degrees F. I changed my oil last weekend and used Valvoline SAE 10W-40 motor oil (it was not labeled as being specific to motorcycles). I have only had 3 rides since the change...maybe 60 total miles...but I have not had a problem at all.

So now I'm curious Blue...why is everything you have listed a 15W instead of 10W? Is that generally what is recommended by the community, for best overall protection? I just find it odd that I may not be providing the best protection by following my owner's manual.
Not to get into a big oil debate...OP said, "i can't find no other oil, just valvoline..". I just gave him some very suitable alternatives. Although the owner's manual recommends 10w-40 it also says,

Recommended Engine Oil
Type: API SE, SF or SG
API SH, SJ or SL with JASO MA

Viscosity: SAE 10W - 40
Capacity: 1.3 L (1.4 US qt) (When filter is not removed)
1.6 L (1.7 US qt) (When filter is removed)

NOTE
○Although 10W-40 engine oil is the recommended oil
for most conditions, the oil viscosity may need to be
changed to accommodate atmospheric conditions in
your riding area.

What is also listed in a chart is 10w-30,10w-50, 20w-40 & 20w-50
What it does not list is 15w, which falls in between 10w & 20w
The 15w oil I listed (although auto/truck oil) meets the type requirement recommended by Kawasaki and recommended by many in the motorcycle community

You will be fine with 10w-40 if it is in the temp range you ride in. As for me I ride longer distances at higher speeds more than the average rider. I'm also a little heavier too, so I use 20w-50 semi synth and change it frequently. Why? because the book says I can. Besides, it makes the bike ride smoother. Keep in mind the Ninja 250 is a high revving bike and any oil you put in it will breakdown. How fast, depends on your driving conditions.

Everybody has their own choice of what they use. Kawasaki gave us very good options, that they know the bike can handle.

Like Spooph said, "some oil is better than no oil" (paraphrased).

post #7 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Respected Rider

Appreciate the information from both of you. I will be referring back to this thread in the future.

post #8 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Ninja Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
What temperatures do you experience? High and low?

Felix
here is very hot in summer. about 115degrees

post #9 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Ninja Novice

i think i'm going to use the valvoline 10-40w and change it every 2k mi

post #10 of 18 Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Ninja Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Similar temp to us here then. Some of my drag racing buddies use that oil, very cheap from places like K Mart etc. They change it after every race meet, so they don't want to be sticking in the expensive stuff.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Interested in photography? Check out Unstable Image.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in