The Wobble - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Wobble

I've come up with this technique for late night visibility that i call "the wobble"

just quickly shake your steering left and right so your bike wobbles and your headlights get people's attention if you're afraid they're going to cut you off or something.

What do you guys think?... i'm not sure how effective it is, but it seemed to get someone's attention an hour or two ago

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Ninja Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1felock View Post
I've come up with this technique for late night visibility that i call "the wobble"

just quickly shake your steering left and right so your bike wobbles and your headlights get people's attention if you're afraid they're going to cut you off or something.

What do you guys think?... i'm not sure how effective it is, but it seemed to get someone's attention an hour or two ago
I ride with LEDs on to increase visibility, I also upgraded my headlights to HIDs. So much brighter. Which is good for you for visibility purposes and for others seeing you. If you need to get another drivers attention don't be afraid to flash your high beams on and off quickly, that's why I always do and it always works. Just like driving a car. The only thing I see wrong with your "wobble" method is, why increase the chance of something going wrong by snapping your bike back and forth? Especially late at night, I just don't feel as though it is as safe as other methods. Maybe that's just me though. Interesting topic.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch View Post
I ride with LEDs on to increase visibility, I also upgraded my headlights to HIDs. So much brighter. Which is good for you for visibility purposes and for others seeing you. If you need to get another drivers attention don't be afraid to flash your high beams on and off quickly, that's why I always do and it always works. Just like driving a car. The only thing I see wrong with your "wobble" method is, why increase the chance of something going wrong by snapping your bike back and forth? Especially late at night, I just don't feel as though it is as safe as other methods. Maybe that's just me though. Interesting topic.

my only problem with that is that i always drive with my brights on during the day, so they're usually on when i drive at night since i just leave them on. I suppose i might try that next time it's late.. makes more sense.. you think flashing them off would work just as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not sure that's the best way to enter a situation if you think there may be a problem.

If you are entering a situation where you aren't sure if you are seen, doing "the wobble" is taking you away from being in control and able to stop or maneuver quickly - not what you want.

Instead, I would always be sure to have your high beam on during the day, wear a bright helmet and jacket, and slow down and come up with an "out" if the situation does develop. High beams and bright gear aren't any guarantee, but it may help in some situations. Along those line of safety, always have a good, fresh, properly inflated front tire. When you need to stop or change directions quickly, it's the single most important piece of equipment on the cycle IMO.

If there's any question (there's always a question...) I slow down, cover the front brake, and have an escape route in mind.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Ninja Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1felock View Post

my only problem with that is that i always drive with my brights on during the day, so they're usually on when i drive at night since i just leave them on. I suppose i might try that next time it's late.. makes more sense.. you think flashing them off would work just as well?
Flashing them on and off has always worked for me in my experiences.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch View Post
Flashing them on and off has always worked for me in my experiences.
In some states flashing your lights is illegal. It can also be misunderstood as "go ahead".

If someone gives you the feeling they are a threat, you need to be completely focused and ready to react - with your choices being brake or swerve/avoid.

Flashing of lights and honking of horns relies on the other person to react, and isn't a predictable way of avoiding an incident - too much room for misunderstanding and improper or no reaction at all.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Ninja Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

In some states flashing your lights is illegal. It can also be misunderstood as "go ahead".

If someone gives you the feeling they are a threat, you need to be completely focused and ready to react - with your choices being brake or swerve/avoid.

Flashing of lights and honking of horns relies on the other person to react, and isn't a predictable way of avoiding an incident - too much room for misunderstanding and improper or no reaction at all.
Interesting way of looking at it. I live in Pennsylvania. We frequently use flashing of headlights to warn oncoming traffic of dangers ahead (car accident, deer, cop, etc). You may have a point though because sometimes we do use it as a sign for "go a head" when at stop signs. I guess it is all dependent of the situation and where you live.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM

Don't make the bike in stable to avoid an accident what if you have the wobble going on and have to maneuver to avoid something. It's not gonna happen. I'd say avoid the wobble and just by a flashing relay for the headlight or buy HID's

post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Ninja Master

Send a message via Yahoo to earlthepearl
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Respected Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte2022 View Post
Don't make the bike in stable to avoid an accident what if you have the wobble going on and have to maneuver to avoid something. It's not gonna happen. I'd say avoid the wobble and just by a flashing relay for the headlight or buy HID's
i agree with this... the ER-6F even has a headlight flash switch, which helps
have tried the wobble after i read your posting... just to see how it feels
my conclusion: if you drive fast, the wobble is a rather risky thing to do
... and if you are slow, warning other vehicles is not really necessary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in