Freezing temperatures suggestions? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja Forum

post #11 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Ninja Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to earlthepearl
Below 32...Park it...Black ice......

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

..Just wanna take a bikeride.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Ninja Racer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodolphin View Post
What do you mean by "makes a carbed bike run lean?"
byte pretty much has it covered, but basically your air/fuel ratio in a carb is set by jet size or adjustments. Cold air is more dense than warm air, and alters the ration toward lean. Cold air will make more power than warm air - but you need to increase the fuel amount to get back to the proper ratio to do it.

Fuel injection compensates with a sensor that reads the intake temp and adjusts the ratio via a map or closed-loop system.

Winter gas also meters differently than summer gas, and contains less energy - so your mileage will drop. Winter gas vaporizes easier, and helps get it started with cold air.

Ethanol displaces gas, and needs a higher ratio of fuel to air, so mixing it in with gas will make you run lean - and get worse mileage too. Since we are on the subject of gas - use the lowest octane that doesn't detonate for the the best power and mileage. Higher levels of octane ("Premium") than are required to just barely hold off detonation have no benefit and reduce power.

Because of the cold temps and leaner mixtures it's sometimes necessary to increase the octane in winter to avoid detonation. When it warms up go back to the lower grade.

A 5W synthetic oil moves easier when cold (that a 10W), and increases cranking speed and fuel mileage due to less internal drag - it also reduces engine wear on start-up - and can be used year-round.

post #13 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
byte pretty much has it covered, but basically your air/fuel ratio in a carb is set by jet size or adjustments. Cold air is more dense than warm air, and alters the ration toward lean. Cold air will make more power than warm air - but you need to increase the fuel amount to get back to the proper ratio to do it. Fuel injection compensates with a sensor that reads the intake temp and adjusts the ratio via a map or closed-loop system. Winter gas also meters differently than summer gas, and contains less energy - so your mileage will drop. Winter gas vaporizes easier, and helps get it started with cold air. Ethanol displaces gas, and needs a higher ratio of fuel to air, so mixing it in with gas will make you run lean - and get worse mileage too. Since we are on the subject of gas - use the lowest octane that doesn't detonate for the the best power and mileage. Higher levels of octane ("Premium") than are required to just barely hold off detonation have no benefit and reduce power. Because of the cold temps and leaner mixtures it's sometimes necessary to increase the octane in winter to avoid detonation. When it warms up go back to the lower grade. A 5W synthetic oil moves easier when cold (that a 10W), and increases cranking speed and fuel mileage due to less internal drag - it also reduces engine wear on start-up - and can be used year-round.
pretty much got in detail where I tried to avoid however. Fuel octane is not something to go below the recommended octane as I have seen it a few times when I was working at the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership on the race bikes. If a bike says 91. Then get 91. If it doesn't say then regular is ok. This is important because like jkv said it changes detonation. Problem with it being below is it causes overtime holes to develop in the top of the piston from improper detonation points. Also. Not every state has winterized gas. Try to ethanol free gas as much as possible no matter what the octane. And yes changing oil in the winter is a good idea. But stay away from 0w oil. It's too thin and your doing more harm than good. But everything else is good info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte2022 View Post
pretty much got in detail where I tried to avoid however. Fuel octane is not something to go below the recommended octane as I have seen it a few times when I was working at the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership on the race bikes. If a bike says 91. Then get 91. If it doesn't say then regular is ok. This is important because like jkv said it changes detonation. Problem with it being below is it causes overtime holes to develop in the top of the piston from improper detonation points. Also. Not every state has winterized gas. Try to ethanol free gas as much as possible no matter what the octane. And yes changing oil in the winter is a good idea. But stay away from 0w oil. It's too thin and your doing more harm than good. But everything else is good info
Here on the deep blue left coast it's dry difficult to find ethanol-free gas. Thanks for the tips though! :-)

post #15 of 20 Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Yesterday was tolerable enough for everything except the hands. Today it was about 10 degrees colder (sub-freezing without wind chill, even worse at freeway speed!). The thermal liner for my pants was added today and worked, but a couple fingers on each hand went numb (pinky and ring, with the thumbs beginning to by the time I got to work). Heats grips should be arriving tomorrow so I'll put those on this weekend.

post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Ninja Master

Tonite izzaaa gunna snow.....
I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlthepearl View Post
Tonite izzaaa gunna snow.....
I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I would like it to snow. For a day. Glad I don't have to worry about shoveling it and seeing it for days. Don't worry though, Spring will be here soon enough.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodolphin View Post
Yesterday was tolerable enough for everything except the hands. Today it was about 10 degrees colder (sub-freezing without wind chill, even worse at freeway speed!). The thermal liner for my pants was added today and worked, but a couple fingers on each hand went numb (pinky and ring, with the thumbs beginning to by the time I got to work). Heats grips should be arriving tomorrow so I'll put those on this weekend.
. While you ride. Alternate hands to the motor to get them back warm. I do this a lot. It works great

post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Respected Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte2022 View Post
. While you ride. Alternate hands to the motor to get them back warm. I do this a lot. It works great
That's clever.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Ninja Master

chic with big titties n let her drive....LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in