Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Mystery coolant leak

4K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  earlthepearl 
#1 ·
Came home the other night to a small pool of green liquid under my bike. Obviously I thought it to be coolant but didn't know where it was coming from. So yesterday I took the two right side fairings and looked around but still couldn't find anything. The coolant reservoir wasn't cracked and all the hoses seemed dry. I noticed all the the droplets of coolant seemed to be collecting right underneath the stator cover as if they were dripping down from up above. But still couldn't find anything. I don't think the coolant is coming from the stator cover itself. The droplets appear to be just coolant and no oil seems to be mixed with it. Any one have any ideas?

Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
Not really, but......
This spring one of my hoses leaked a bit n no mater what i couldn't get it to stop...
Took it off...cleaned it....cleaned the nipple it went on......still dripped....
I added just a bit of radiator stop leak for aluminum n that did it......
Never leaked sence.......
May be worth a try, but don't use much......
I mite of used 1/4 of one of the small bottles.....

#3 ·
Have you checked the water pump the water pump or motorcycle is just like a water pump on a car that has a weep hole the water pump goes bad it will leak. Water pump on the bike is just to the right of the stater in your picture. Check that too

twisted throttles brings me smiles

#9 ·
Remember it's an expansion tank reservoir, that means the coolant in the system when it expands needs to go somewhere, if this tank is full when the system is cold it will over fill when hot and put slippery coolant under the back tyre. It's best to only have it to just above the lower line when the system is cold.

#11 ·
Yeah I guess that makes sense as to why I notice the droplets or puddles in the morning. Yet I
haven't noticed my coolant reservoir go down. However it's not under the back tire its dripping right below the nut you remove to drain the oil. It's coming from somewhere up above and beyond trickling down the inside of the fairing until it dribbles out

#10 ·
I keep mine a bit over the half way mark myself.....:thumb:
Never had it get over the 3/4 level as of yet on a 650.....:dance:
But ifnnnnnn ur running the shit outta it it may get higher....?

I keep my back tire chain lubed......:thumb:
Makes for interesting cornering......:whistling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.