Question about seasonal tune up/shimming needles/rejetting/misc. - Kawasaki Ninja Forum
New Ninja Forum

Go Back   Kawasaki Ninja Forum > Ninja Tech | Modifications, Maintenance & Repair > Off 250 Tech

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Elite Rider

Blackout is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blackout
Question about seasonal tune up/shimming needles/rejetting/misc.

Hi all!

Besides this post- my only other post has been in the Introductions forum, so yeah.. I have that new bike smell all over me.

Picked up my '08 250r about three weeks back, just shy of 1k on the odometer. Decided because the bike was not ridden too much last season and has been sitting with older oil and a quarter tank of gas, I would drop it off to my local Kawasaki Powersports dealership for them to give me a 'seasonal tune-up'.

they quoted me around 150 bucks for if it is just the normal deal, which sounded reasonable to me once I compared it to my researched prices for similar things, so I let them come pick it up three days back and am yet to hear from a tech guy.

ANYWAY- my questions here:

1) What does a normal tune-up consist of? Is it something like: air filer, plugs, oil change, all fluid change, flushing out the gas tank, retorquing the bike etc.? That is some of the stuff he had rattled off before my baby was shoved onto the back of his pickup, strapped in tight, and drove away from me

2) I have just about finished buying my full gear, which I got alot of useful information from all of you lurking in the dark about gear choice threads. I have got kevlar lined denims, a 150~ buck range HJC helmet (matte black with blacked out windscreen) with nice air scoops for breathable conditions, Alpinestars gauntlet-type summer gloves, and a full spine spike/body armor protector Joe Rocket jacket with the Kawi branded all over it in black/yellow.
(only thing left is my boots which I want to goto my cycle gear for instead of online shopping) so I wanted some suggestions about some good, reliable boots at a reasonable price for the summer. Something I feel I can wear out and walk around in for a good while after my ride.

3) As far as bike modifications, the first thing I wanted to do was get an HMF slip on with powder coat black/gold euro tip- but here is my question: do I get the bike rejetted or shim the needles for this? I do not fully understand what it means for a bike to run lean or rich, but all I know is I want it to run correctly and have the correct back pressure for the bike. Please give your suggestion on what I should do after getting the HMF pipe installed, and please if you could give me a price range of how much the entire project would cost at a normal shop including labor. My other option was to get my stock exhaust chopped and go short tank, but I am unsure if a normal bike shop is willing to do this or not? And if so, would I rejet/shim needles for this and what would you estimate the cost of this to be as well?

Thank you for reading and replying. I know this is a damn bible of a question, but for a second post, I thought I would get it ALLLLLL out!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Ninja Master

spooph is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about seasonal tune up/shimming needles/rejetting/misc.

1.) All that stuff. They basically just go over the bike and make sure everything is still right. Fluids (brake, coolant, oil), chain (clean, lube, adjust), clean out the fuel system (tank, lines, carbs - usually with a solution, they don't take everything apart), check the air filter, check the axles and headbearings, check the clutch, tires, wheels, etc.... It really depends on the shop...

2.) I really like my A-Star Harlems, and they come in an "Air" version for really hot areas. I did a write-up in the "GEAR" thread.... But you're best bet is to go to a dealer, as you said you're going to, and fit 'em, and walk all over the store with them on.... I used to wear full-size race boots all day long at work, and after a while it really starts chafing your calfs... I'd recommend an ankle-high boot, not a calf-high boot...

3.) If you just add the can you prolly won't have to shim, nevermind re-jetting. If you get a full system, you'll have to re-jet, and won't get away with just shimming. To install an exhaust on the ninja is about an hour's worth of work, to re-jet is about another hour, so multiple 2 by your shop's hourly rate and that's that, eh? Or just ask them, they'll know. If you do it yourself, 2 jets should cost you $6.00, and I think the full HMF system is just under $500?

Delta?

Figure in about 8 hours on a weekend to do the install, if you've never taken a bike apart..... Gummybear has an awesome write-up using a yoshi system for install and such, and the HMF is very close... The re-jetting/tuning is the exact same....

Hope this helps, ask more questions.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Ninja Master

Felix is on a distinguished road

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/cru...prod_1345.html

Harlem Air Boots, Spooph rates them, I'm getting a pair soon.

I use Sidi Vertigo's, great boots, lots of protection, not the best for spending all day walking in.

As for shimming, slipon or not, shim the needles, the bike will thank you. If you get it done in a shop, they will jet it for you, costs I'm not sure on, different countries sorry.

Felix
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Ninja Racer

Onslaught is on a distinguished road

I only wear my sidis for riding, I either carry a change of shoes in a backpack or leave a pairs at work to change into, wouldn't want to wear them for any non-riding purposes.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
Ninja Master

Delta107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph
Delta?
You rang?

Geek Moment. Anyways per my thread: http://www.newninja.com/modification...0265/#msg50265

You can buy a Jet kit which comes with man jets and all that crap for $75 - $100. Or you can buy single jets for around $6.
linky: http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm

Jet Kits!
Factory Pro
http://www.factorypro.com/

Dynojet
http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/kawasaki.aspx

I have the ICON Superduty 2 Boots I love them you can walk in them but if you plan on going to the mall or something just bring your favorite pair of shoes or flip flops
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Ninja Master

Delta107 is on a distinguished road

As for the HMF Exhaust they only sell it as a Slip-on Prices range from $210 - $350.

http://hmfracing.com/shop/pipes/kawasaki/ninja-250-08
Old 01-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Ninja Master

I <3 Delta!

Felix
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Elite Rider

Blackout is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blackout

Thanks for all the great input, guys.. so let me get this straight:

Boots: I really like the ones that spooph suggested. I believe I will see if they have these at cyclegear tomorrow and try a pair on.

Rejetting: If I get the slip on HMF exhaust, I will not need to rejet. I should, however, shim the needles? and this costs how much at a shop, to shim needles?

AND if I get the HMF ehxaust installed at a shop, they will rejet it for me?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
Ninja Master

I doubt a shop will shim your needles, if you have basic mech skills you can do it your self with the online tutorials.

I would imagine a shop would do a rejet for you, but if I was you (if you didn't feel comfortable doing the shims) install the slipon yourself (easy) and then get a rejet when you get it serviced.

Felix
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Ninja Master

spooph is on a distinguished road

D, thanks a bunch!

I agree with Felix. Install the slip-on, and at least give the shimming a go. If you take your time, post with questions (with photos and hopefully videos), you can do it and it will only make your feel goods feel good.... A shop will not shim needles for you... "Shimming the needles" is something created as an adaptation by racers-on-a-budget back in the day, who couldn't afford nothed needles, etc, or the way to make minute changes to your air/fuel before notched needles existed, I would guess. Either way, we have a great thread on shimming the needles in how-to. Check it out and post back here with more q's...

And yes, if you install the slip-on, the shop will rejet your bike for you... They won't like it, because they would prefer to charge you for installing the slip-on as well, but "se la vi"...

Tags
ninja 250, ninja 250r